English teacher in need!

Hi,

I'm not sure which is the correct section to post this in so I'm doing it here and in introductions Sorry if this is the wrong thing to do.

I teach students aged 8-9 who are making films on ipads in their literacy lessons. Writing levels are going through the roof because the kids love seeing themselves and their friends on screen and seeing their writing having a purpose. Lots of teachers around the UK are doing the same thing at the moment (as there is an awesome free teaching resource doing the rounds) and we've all been talking about how we can make it even more exciting for the kids.

Does anyone know if there is any way to show the films at cinemas if they are filmed on a tablet and edited on something like movie maker?

Any advice would be fantastic and please assume I know absolutely nothing about film making (which is the truth).

Thanks,

Sam

I can't really help with output media formats for this, but I do have some experience with local arts funding here in the UK.

There is nearly always a surplus of cash which has been earmarked for local arts projects within the borough/town, and if it isn't fully spent by the end of the year, next year's allowance will be lower. Because of this you will likely find that you local arts and entertainment councillor will be very excited to help, both with funding and organising. Being an educational project will give your request a good bit more weight too.

If you have a local arts cinema in your town/borough, you should find you idea a lot easier to realise than you might think. :)

I met our council's arts and entertainment officer guy as a teenager after organising a music festival for the town. I was amazed at how much access to help he could get from various other local (and not so local) bodies, but a lot of the processes to reach those channels were beyond the capicity and attention span of us kids on the youth board to really understand. While you probably could go straight to the arts centres I'd recommend speaking to the council first as they will have someone that can help point you in the right direction, as well as open up funding and contacts/opportunities that you may not otherwise have the chance to know about.

We managed to pull off all sorts of cool events with our arts and entertainment councillor's help. While anyone you get in contact with is likely to take you much more seriously than they would us, without his backing and guidance we would've hit many more walls, so it probably won't hurt to give yours a go first either. :)

Back