• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Problems With JVC GY-HM700 Export

Hello,

I'm a university film student who is working on a side project with the school's equipment, which in this case happens to be the JVC GY-HM700 camera.

I'm trying to export my test footage (to make sure everything is kosher before the real deal) to my PC. I am able to mount the SD card just fine via an external reader, but it seems to only have audio clips on it. The DCIM and MISC directories are both (predictably) empty, and the Private > JVC directory contains only XML documents and video-less .mov's. The audio on the .mov files from my test clip is coming through just fine, but there is no video input. Everything appeared normal on the viewfinder during the actual test, so I'm not totally sure where I'm messing up.

The Quicktime files are in the Clip folder, and the XML documents are in a secondary folder. The only documents in both are the two clips that I recorded, one as an audio test and one as a video test. I have tried accessing the footage both from Windows Explorer (through VLC and Windows Media Player) and from Premiere (CS5, x64), with the same audio-only result. I am confident that my PC itself is unrelated, as I use it frequently for editing, animation, and visual effects work, thus all of its drivers and hardware are up-to-date and maintained.

I'm sure the error is probably on my end, as I'm but a fledgling when it comes to professional-grade cameras, but does anyone have a suggestion for what might be the problem here so that I can proceed? Thanks very much for your time.

I own that camera and have never had the problem you
are having.

Is there a reason you can't take this problem back to your
teachers at school? Isn't that why you pay tuition? Or is
there no one at your school who understands the equipment
they use?

Back