Are Zippers Repairable?

The main zipper for my stunt dummy's costume broke. The handle piece that zippers up and down broke off. Does anyone know if just the handle piece can be replaced? Or, does the whole zipper have to come out and a new one is sewed in to take its' place?

I showed a photo to the taylor. As long as the zipper track is undamaged, and it is, a new zipper can be overlayed over it that is big enough to overlay the whole area. I'll see. I'll bring them the costume tomorrow.

Yes, zippers are repairable... at any fabric store, you should be able to pick up a set of various zipper pulls (if not just the individual one you need - or just another zipper you can get the pull from).

You may need to cut the zipper near one of the ends, insert the new pull, then lash a couple of stitches to close the small cut you made so the new pull doesn't fall off through the gap there.

They are sometimes sold as tent zipper repair kits, or just zipper repair kits. Nothing a little time with a needle and thread can't cure so long as the actual teeth are fine.

Often the metal clasp that aligns the two sides together has a "looped over" hool-like thingie the pull handle goes through.

depending upon the size of that metal loop (crown) either run a heavy steel paper clip through it or a decent loop of shoestring or cord.
image001.jpg

Thanks guys. Knightly, good information. My thanks.

I pulled too hard on the zipper fixing things up with the stunt dummy for a photo shoot to show the cast new clothing accessories for two generations of cyborg looks.

Back