wireless monitor for Focus puller

Hi.

Im looking for my first wireless monitor in order to use a wireless followfocus system. The idea is to have a focus puller that can stand some distance from the camera to operate the focus. Do i buy the monitor and the wireless reciever separately or can i buy both at the same time? Do you have any recommendations?

I dont think this is a problem but im not gonna buy an ecosystem to the monitor and the followfocus. They are separate brands.

The problem you will encounter is that whilst even the mid-cheap brands will work pretty well most of the time with varying latency, Focus Pulling is one of those jobs where if you’re going to do it wirelessly you need a wireless transmission system that is going to work perfectly every single time, with next to no latency.

It would be easier if you provided some idea of your budget, but a wireless follow focus system + wireless video transmission system + on-board monitor that are all good enough to be able to do the job appropriately is not going to be cheap. I can recommend a few brands, but you’re probably looking at least ~$5k+ for a system that is going to be even close to something that might work well enough.

Let us know if that’s within your budget range. Usually these types of systems are rented by production - either from a rental house or from the Focus Puller themselves.

I don’t know when your production is or how long the shoot is but hiring may prove a far more cost economical option.

What are you doing that requires a wireless system? To be fair, a competent focus puller should be able to pull wirelessly without a monitor, which would then mean your cost is only the wireless follow focus system.

But there may be a different way to go about it - most Steadicam ops, for example, will carry wireless follow focus & video transmission systems so if it’s steadicam you need it for you could be in luck.

What are you doing that requires a wireless system? To be fair, a competent focus puller should be able to pull wirelessly without a monitor, which would then mean your cost is only the wireless follow focus system.

But there may be a different way to go about it - most Steadicam ops, for example, will carry wireless follow focus & video transmission systems so if it’s steadicam you need it for you could be in luck.

Its a fighting scene in a long take.

We will buy nucleus-m follow focus. You get two hand controllers and one remote focus controler. We will use the hand controlers on our shoulder rig so cameraman can focus or we buy a wireless monitor so someone can use the focus remote.

If it’s for one day - that is, you’re shooting the fight scene over one day - you’ll probably be able to hire a full system for far cheaper then purchasing even a Nucleus + cheap monitor.

Back