Capstone

In my school there is course called Capstone which I am enrolled in. For this class, we choose a project that we will work on throughout the year. The project that I have chosen to create is a short informative film because a group of friends and I plan to start up a production company in the near future and I wanted to prove to myself that I am capable of creating film media. Also, I would like to to encourage kids from the younger generation to peruse film.
I am very behind on my schedule though. Right now I am in the process of creating a script, and I do not know how to continue. Is there any tips that can help me continue on?

Keep writing and rewriting and rewriting and rewriting and rewriting. Get some quality outside criticism. Then rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.

Repeat.

Don't be afraid to kill your babies.

Get your preproduction started; budget, personnel, equipment requirements, locations, transportation needs, legal paperwork, etc., etc., etc.

I would keep rewriting, but the thing is I don't have an official script to rewrite yet. This is something I've dreamed of doing, but when it comes down to it, it is my first time actually making a script (and a film overall). I find myself constantly getting stuck, and I do not know what to do to help myself.

Creating a Script

This is my first time making a script, or a film in general, and I am getting stuck. So, I was wondering if anybody had any advice that I can utilize. Thanks in advance!

I know what I am aiming for, but I do not know how I am going to create a story around it.
So I think I am mostly having trouble with grasping an idea and running with it.

I know what I am aiming for, but I do not know how I am going to create a story around it.
So I think I am mostly having trouble with grasping an idea and running with it.

Well, I think it really just boils down to a few simple questions:

Who is your character?

What are they searching for?

How will they get what they're searching for?

What's standing in their way?

And why the hell is this story even worth telling?

Writing is difficult because you're literally staring into an infinite abyss of ideas and any variation of those ideas can work, but some variations can work better than others, so understanding how to get those ideas and form them into just the right way is...Well, it's hard. That's why the questions above can help, because it allows you to create a sort of sandbox where you still have full discretion, but you're confining your ideas so that they run well together.

I think if you do that and literally arch it into a three-act structure with the answers you come up with, you'll be able to get the ball rolling. Btw, what's your piece about anyway?

This is just what I have learned from research and what works for me, but so far, I will come up with the idea/premise, for the story first. Then after I will think of what themes can come out of that idea, and see which themes are worth exploring that make the story worth telling.

From there I will come up with characters to play off of the theme, and bring it to where I want it to be explored. Then in doing so, the characters will determine the plot.

So I guess it's more like - idea > theme > character > plot

Some say to come up with the characters first, but I usually find that it helps to have a theme to create the characters, but that's just my way so far.

Take it one step at a time. Don't write chronologically if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Start with a simple conversation at any moment and focus on the dialogue

Figure out what this scene/conversation is about and let everything serve that point.

Back