• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Story Idea "$10K and One bad idea"

Story germ to stimulate the neurons of my IT friends..

I had an experience recently that has tickled my story neurons.. here is what happened and what I thought about it..

A few weeks ago I decided to buy a new "used family car" with cash. I took out $4000 and stashed it in a secure location at home right next to my passport.

Thats' it for the experience, but my brain went on...

Now, all the next week, while the cash set there while I hunted for a car, my brain kept saying.. "Self..we have $4k cash and a passport, we could be ANYWHERE in the world within 48 hours." .. interesting.. now what kinda trouble could I get into by acting on that impulse???

I up the stakes to $10K in the title of this post, but the ideas the same..

Ten Thousand Dollars and One Bad Idea.

Sort of a "anti lottery fantasy"

discuss..

Well john doe decides to take that money and go to columbia for a cupple weeks.He doent tell his wife but he packs quickly and heads to the air-port. He keeps his money in a plain black suit-case along with the rest of his stuff. while he is at the airport he accidently gets his suit case mixed up with this well dressed columbian man. When he finaly gets to his hotel he calls his wife and says he'll be home soon and he loves her. Little does he know that he accidently got his bags mixed up with juan carlos the 15th, The leader of the largest drug cartell in columbia. When he opens his suit-case he finds 5 million dollars in cash and 30lb's of cocain.

I think you inspired me to write a script......is this a dumb idea? :lol:

So whos financing this idea?!? :lol:

EDIT- Ps. His wife thinks hes on a bussiness trip!

Last edited:
Catalyst: "Did you hear about Dan from Accounting? Heart attack/Colon Cancer/Hit By a Bus. He was soooo young too, only 42."

MC always wanted to be an actor and was the star of his high school play. He takes the 10k that was earmarked for a needless home improvement project and jets to LA. Comedy and Tragedy ensue.

I'd like to see that guy in a company where he, after a couple of drinks, admits he's got 10k$ on him at the moment, and couple of guys that are with him can make use of it.
I'd like to make that 10k $ such a pain in the arse that he would wish he never had them and that he instead had a peaceful night with his wife at home.
Maybe some sort of good deed in the end, goes to hid in theater to hide and buys all the tickets for a show only few were watching. That way he helped the enthusiastic director/actors and made sure his pursuiters won't be entering the theater.

The other side of me wants to see that guy on the airport meeting a lady, buying a ticket to the place she's going to, and spends all that money following her around trying not to get noticed. He even offers a hotel worker 1000$ only to give him key to her room, well he might be doing that, saying he misplaced it if they get caught. He might get in her room at night while she's asleep, or at datime when she's not around playing around with her underwear, going through her stuff and finds out she's got a gun. At the moment he sees it, someone grabs the knob. He hides, and that's her, she takes the gun and goes out again.
Then he starts following her more intensly. He wants to know why she needed the gun that day so bad, that she returned home only to take it...
He might get in a real bad trouble following that lady, she might have noticed him already but she didn't want to kill him as she doesn't know who he is, yet... All sorts of questions could be running through his head... He might even get robbed and left without the money for a ticket back home so he has to steal for it... He might get caught too.

Well, a lot of scenarios are possible...

good stuff here, I love being on a creative forum!

Heck no bretzdmann, thats a good story idea, though its a bit loose on a few points..

So he was PLANNING on not coming home from the biz trip, but changes his mind once he settled into the hotel? AFTER WHICH he discovers he's got the wrong suite case?

Now (riffing on your idea) Now John finds a phone number and calls Juan with a reasonable solution, after all Johns a reasonable guy, .. John says hell take the $9K out of the $5mill ( he spent some of the $10K already and thats what John had in HIS suitcase) John will leave Juans suit case in the hotel where Juan can come and get it after John leaves.. simple plan...

... but Juan has another idea.. he forces John to be a mule in a big drug deal, becuase JOHN left his passport in the suitcase (it was carry on by the way) now John is in VERY big trouble, the stakes are VERY high and lots of VERY bad things can happen..

Alternatively, Juan CONVINCES John to "invest" in the drug deal, or makes him an offer he CANT refuse..

I like it..

Hey, Flicker! Can I add on to your idea?

Maybe the guy's a writer, struggling to find his voice, wife nagging him to pay bills "You'll never make it as a writer, honey." so he decides the only way to pen the most authentic and compelling novel is to "Write what you know." which means embarking on an adventure (misadventure) so he has something to write about. Only the result is far from anything he had ever dreamed possible.

That sort of thing?

But the guy realizes that he hasn't done that much. Life has been pretty conventional. So in the spirit of "write what you know" and spurred on by "you'll never make it as a writer, honey", he decides to visit every important location that Ernest Hemingway ever was: Chicago, Toronto, Key West, The Caribbean, East Africa, Europe, Spain and Cuba.

If our intrepid traveller can't find adventure or misadventure with that, he won't find it anywhere :lol:

-- spinner :cool:

So a fairly confident average guy that freaks out when doing SERIOUS stuff takes a big step marries a girl that made him feel safer than he otherwise would with another woman, meaning she brings the best out of him. He has his four friends who have been with him throughout college and such who know all of his relationships that hasn't laster more than a week due to his "freaking out" situations. Despite all that he had a gambling issue in college. When marrying his wife he has no money except the 10K him and his wife have saved while working in a small coffee shop in order to buy their own house instead of living in the staff house. Meanwhile, as he has one of his weekly guys time in which he talks about his recent marriage, he of course freaks out as usual and goes out of control by taking all of the money and running away to the town of gambling (VEGAS). The wife knows he is gone yet cannot stop him, he did promise her he will come back and she put all her trust on him. She worries as he and his friends who out of spontaneity joined him to gamble in vegas. They get into conflicts such as, running out of money on the first shot. And resolve it by one of the friends hitting up with some random rich chick and stealing her money simultaneously. And gain even more money. Such and such and so on. Main conflict is one of his friends stayed in town for his own reasons, and the main guy's wife sends his friend who stayed back to vegas to tell him that she is pregnant and the guy better get back home. So meanwhile gambling their friend is travelling through vegas tracking them down. And so on. This is just brainstorming, you can always play around with it. take care

Back