• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How would i write a long tracking shot through multiple subjects?

I'm writing a scene at a crime scene right now, and I want to have a long tracking shot starting with the witness being interview on the lawn, to some forensic guys collecting evidence from the crime scene, the body, ect. I'm stuck on writing this though. Would it just be something like

The CAMERA TRACKS THROUGH THE HOUSE past...

or something else?

The CAMERA TRACKS THROUGH THE HOUSE past...

If you're writing this for yourself, to shoot yourself, this is fine. It tells you exactly what you need to know.

If it's for somebody else though, personally, I'd probably do with something like...

DOLLY: A crowd has gathered. On the lawn, Police officers interview so-and-so. Etc, etc. Inside the house...

Then just go on to describe the scene and the various people and places that are in that scene.

Although, realistically, if this is a script you hope to sell, you should omit the inclusion of camera moves altogether. Just write the scene, leave that part up to the director.

Hey, Artin.

So a) will you be directing this script, or b) were you hired to write the shooting script? If either of these are true then you can place camera direction into your script. In that case "Camera Tracks", "Camera Follows", pan, tilt, etc. might be just fine, especially if the notes are for you - you can do whatever you want. I haven't written a shooting script yet so I am sure someone on here who has will have more to say about that.

Now on the other hand if you are writing to sell I would just stick to the spec script - no mention of camera direction (well except in your slug lines - you know INT. and EXT.) and no actor direction either. Your job in this scenario is to tell the story within the constraints of designing a "blueprint" for a potential movie and not to direct. It will be up to the director's vision as to how it will be shot. So I am not saying you take this path but I would go with something like this...

INT. FIRST FLOOR OF LOGAN RESIDENCE - NIGHT.

Jake peers into the kitchen and sees a knife missing from the set on the island. He studies the tousled dining room, pausing at the mixture mashed potatoes impact splatter mix at his feet then steps over the connecting drag that trails to to the hallway.

He follows the trail, which grows in saturation as he walks down the hall. Hurdling and sidestepping forensics along the way.

The heavy trail veers into the living room and stops at a pool of blood that has Mr. Logan as the center piece and the handle of the missing knife protruding from his right thigh. Jimmy's taking pictures.

JIMMY
Next time I'll ask for more details before coming
out to a pool party. My take? Argument over the
potatoes -- some people just don't care for under-
cooked potatoes--

JAKE
--Where's Catherine?

JIMMY
You mean Mrs. Logan right, Jake? Perkins has
her out front--

Jake zips towards the front door.

JIMMY (O.S.)
Jake! Jake!

EXT. FRONT LAWN, LOGAN RESIDENCE - SAME TIME.

Jake scans the lawn and sees Perkins standing over someone wrapped in a blanket. He darts towards them almost taking out a uniform on the way.

Perkins spots him as he zeros in.

PERKINS
You're not supposed to be here, Jake.

JAKE
Catherine! Catherine!

....or something like that. I know what you have is much better than this, but I couldn't help myself (forgive my lazy slug lining too). I do hope that in all of this there was something in there that helped you. Sorry if I went off topic. I am sure you'll get better answers on here.

Good luck, Artin.

I'll just echo what the other said;

If you are producing and directing you will write it in any way that
helps you remember what you want the shoot to be when you shot.
"The CAMERA TRACKS THROUGH THE HOUSE past..." is fine.

If you will not be making the movie it is not your job as the writer to
set up camera shots.

Back