• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

telling a story thought diary entries in a script.

Anyway, I apologize. You go ahead and post exactly as you want to
post. Do not worry about screenplay format. Write it the way you
want to write it. Don't worry about old guys like me. It won't
happen again.

Why do i feel like you're mocking me? :( From now on if i ever post a screenplay here again, i will make sure its in proper format. :) The "i never thought about that thanks for the advice" comment was in reference to the fact that when people view a script, if its not in proper format, its going to be hard for them to read. To be perfectly honest, i completely forgot about that when i asked why formatting was important. Sometimes things arent drilled into my head, until they are repeated. its just the way i learn.

also when i posted that blurb of my script (that i must have wrote months ago) i honestly did try to tweak it. Now that i look back, i see spelling mistakes and stuff, but as far as trying to be more visual, i really tried. I wasn't going to get it perfect on the first try. :)

Last edited:
V.O. are never horrible, take Scrubs for example. about half the show is V.O.

Scrubs is television - exposition city! A whole other ballgame!

Now, as another poster mentioned, VO can be used for a good effect on rare occasions -- a good example of this is Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

VO is "telling" us what the filmmaker wasn't able to show. If not done right, its like a poke in the eye -- did the director forget to write a scene? Was the actor drunk that day? Did a tape get lost?

Of course, you're free to disagree, but many a film festival screener will tell you they tire of the many many VO submissions. Having VO risks your film's chances.

Scrubs is television - exposition city! A whole other ballgame!

Now, as another poster mentioned, VO can be used for a good effect on rare occasions -- a good example of this is Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

VO is "telling" us what the filmmaker wasn't able to show. If not done right, its like a poke in the eye -- did the director forget to write a scene? Was the actor drunk that day? Did a tape get lost?

Of course, you're free to disagree, but many a film festival screener will tell you they tire of the many many VO submissions. Having VO risks your film's chances.

really? i wrote a script where this guy finds a diary in his neighbors house and as he reads it, the story plays out. The whole movie revolve around the diary... i guess i need to figure a way around too much v.o

really? i wrote a script where this guy finds a diary in his neighbors house and as he reads it, the story plays out. The whole movie revolve around the diary... i guess i need to figure a way around too much v.o
Actually, that's a scenario where voiceover is totally acceptable.

I think you have the right idea, where the voiceover begins and you show images of sort of what's being narrated, though, I'm not sure if I would rely on narration too much once you start rolling with the visuals, as it would somewhat be unnecessary at that point.

Give A River Runs Through It a watch. It's not about a diary, but it should give you some good ideas about how to use narration in a movie.

Back