• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

query letters

The screenwriters bible is the only place where I read it's okay to start you're logline with, What if... Just imagine... All others I've read say avoid starting it like that. Just go with, Fate step in. Not, just imagine if fate steps in. And, give a middle begginnig and end to your synopsis. Everyone else says, just a tease. Who's advise should I take. I'm going to lay mind out here.

Fate steps in for a woman battling depression while retuning home from the pharmacist with slipping pills to end it all after she is swept off her feet literally, than emotional by a hopeless romantic who saves her from getting hit by a cab when she avoids a dog walker entangled with their leases and steps into the street without looking. A loving and meaningful relationship transpires. She has second thoughts about cashing it in until she unknowingly hears a loving message left by another woman on the answering machine that was in the apartment when he moved in and never used by him.

Critiquing welcome!

The issue with screenwriting "bibles" is when they are
written they are correct. Then every writer reads the
new "rule" and every writer does exactly the same thing.
So someone comes up with a new "bible" and that comes
into vogue for a while until every writer is doing the exact
same thing.

People who read query letters (and scripts) read thousands
of them. Writers do a little research and read - maybe - ten.

That first sentence is one hell of a long one. Sixty one words!
Yikes! My eyes started to glaze reading it.

Seriously, how important is it for us to know she is returning
home from the pharmacist? She is going to kill herself. Five
words rather than twenty one.

This is way too confusing and doesn't give me any sense of
what your story is about.

Back