smoke effect in this video (how to?)

Hey guys, not sure which subforum this is supposed to go in, so I'm putting it in pre-production because that's what stage I'm in currently.

I am shooting a music video that involves using an effect similar to the smoke in this Baths video. The smoke looks like 3D but I was wondering if it might be something much simpler, like a cloud tank composited over the original image. Do you guys know of any way I can achieve this effect? Preferably something without too much 3D, as nobody on my team can do 3D.

Hey guys, not sure which subforum this is supposed to go in, so I'm putting it in pre-production because that's what stage I'm in currently.

I am shooting a music video that involves using an effect similar to the smoke in this Baths video. The smoke looks like 3D but I was wondering if it might be something much simpler, like a cloud tank composited over the original image. Do you guys know of any way I can achieve this effect? Preferably something without too much 3D, as nobody on my team can do 3D.

It's definitely not 3D. It's just an overlay of an inkdrop, like you suggested.

I think it's just simple smoke footage from blender on a chroma key background, so they can render it from multiple angles, composite over the scene, then adjust the color, opacity, bluriness, etc.

It's pretty simple to achieve, even if you don't have your own. With free green screen stock footage on youtube, you can do this quickly

and then at the end when the other character "absorbs the guy's soul" you can use a liquify effect in AE and mask it out where the guy's face begins to achieve that effect.

Yeah, all this can be done without any 3D animation

I think it's just simple smoke footage from blender on a chroma key background, so they can render it from multiple angles, composite over the scene, then adjust the color, opacity, bluriness, etc.

It's pretty simple to achieve, even if you don't have your own. With free green screen stock footage on youtube, you can do this quickly

So would I want to use a green screen for the part i'm keying out? What if I want to use green ink? Can you (or anyone else on this thread) suggest a good tutorial for doing this? I'm pretty much looking to emulate this effect exactly. Good news is, I already have two 10-gallon fishtanks to use and have done some testing to ensure I'll be able to do the cloud/inkdrop effectively. All I need is a way to get it looking clean and composited like in that video. (i've always been bad with chroma key)

Back