Good HD Camera

Random questions about HD camera:

What are the best HD cameras out now under 15k for making a feature?

Are there any new/advanced HD cameras coming out in the next year or so?

I don't trust Red any further than I can throw it. ; )

Seriously, the camera doesn't exsist yet, except in a demo model. If it does all it says it will then it's cool, but at $17K, you'll still need lenses, some kind of recording device and accessories. Buying a camera from a start-up is an iffy deal. The big boys, Sony, JVC and Panasonic, have an established support network and there are plenty of accessories that will work with their cameras. I don't like the idea of being a ginea pig for a start up company.

For 15K, I'd look at the Panasonic HVX200. For that price you can get the camera for 6K, some P2 cards, PS store, a matte box, tripod and a laptop for downloading footage.

Other options are the Canon XL H1 and JVC HD100.

For $17 you could look at the low end XDCam (PDW-F330) from Sony, but I think that's without a lens.

Scott

I would personally wait until the next gen Sony's come out and see how they fare.

But if I had to move now I would get an HVX200 and a micro35, record whatever method is the most lossless (probably p2, maybe direct to disk or sdi?), and cut with FCPHD or some other high(er) end nle.

Some day in the near future we can have a discussion on future cameras and whether or not acquiring at 4k is practical for a feature with a sub 100k budget, but for HD, the HVX is pretty sweet and I am a huge proponent of 35mm adapters/optics.

I wouldn't go with Red just yet. Their latest update caused a ton of crashes on set. Remember that with all new cutting-edge technology, there exists problems. I'm sure they'll have everything ironed out eventually.

Another thing to think about is PAPER vs. REAL LIFE. The RED camera looks great on paper... but is it tried and true? Yes, the technology behind it is fantastic! But, trust me... if you're shooting a feature on a limited budget, go with what you know and with what's been proven. If you blow your entire load on the camera, what do you have left for good lenses and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, good set design? Shoot in a plain white room with a DVX100A and a RED camera... they'll both look like crap. Have an outrageously awesome camera with a mediocre-at-best piece of glass and you end up with crap. I'd rather have great set design and a great lens with an OK camera than a great camera, no lens and poor set design. But hey, if you can afford to have it all... go for it.

My advice to you is RENT an HD200 or an HPX2000 (no, not HVX200) and get some nice glass for it. Your results will be pleasing and you won't have spent all your budget on the camera. If you simply RENT it, you won't be left with buyer's remorse. Or maybe you'll decide you like it. Either way, its a try before you buy scenario.

If you are indeed adamant about purchasing a camera, I highly suggest you do NOT purchase the RED camera. WAIT! Instead, consider a Panasonic HPX500, JVC HD200, or something similar. These both give you great quality and allow for plenty of attachments and accessories... and they WORK!! :) I've used them both and I'm fairly pleased. HPX500 is a 2/3" sensor BTW

HVX200 and buy and m2 adaptor, get some nikon lenses and youre well on your way to making a decent film.

I totally agree.

With this setup you can go without the lens adapter for certain shots/looks, and the HVX by itself is pretty small and rugged. Definately get the lens adapter though. I'm glad I got the Redrock (This is the brand to get, IMHO). You can also get the cheapy lenses, which have a certain artistic look to them, eventually upgrade to the nice glass for another type of look. The HVX is soooooooo customizable that possibilities are truly endless with this camera.

If I went back in time to decide which camera rig I wanted, with the EX, Red, etc on the market, I would still choose this setup.

Back