• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lotsa inspiration, lack of focus and some questions.

yo men.

just wanted to share my thoughts and hear your opinions. :)

so, how do you people work? how are you brainstorming? i have 2 main big ideas at the moment and countless details that i could fit anywhere, but i lack the general knowledge for many-and especially-well known facts, such as politics or history.

yes, google rocks, but the research is wearing me out. and even if i had all the info i need, my mind would still get stuck on the basics. i have the appetite, but sometimes not the concentration and inspiration. how do you face it when it happens to you?

i'm not a pro screenwriter or a director. i watched some tutorials of final draft 9 on youtube and i understood how the industry works. problem is, i find it easier to write my script (especially with pen on paper :P) as a story-pretty much like a book-with "rich" descriptions as well as notes about directing details. should i write first my script in a book-like version and then refine it by writing it according to industry standards? also, how does a novel get turned into a film?

thank you in advance! :)

This is a pretty loaded question. If you're trying to write about something you know very little about (i.e a film that takes place in the 1800s) find an expert who can work with you on the script...However, since you're just starting out, I'm assuming you don't have the money to outsource that kind of work. So, I guess your first step is to learn how to research.

Google is a nice first step but going beyond that you really want to get into wikipedia and backtrack your sources. If you go to the very bottom of any wikipedia article, they generally sort their sources. However, some of them are good and others are very bad. You should google search what a good source looks like before you start digging in. Also, if you notice a lot of times they provide academic pdfs for you to read.

But you gotta be comprehensive and critical of what your read. Search for book reviews on the literature you find in wikipedia and get other people's opinions about it before you start reading and when you do start to read, don't read it cover to cover. Strategy read. Look at the glossary and search for chapters you feel are relevant to you. Read the first sentence and last sentence of every paragraph when you skim through it. That will generally tell you what each paragraph is about so you won't have to read everything word for word.

But before you really get into anything, the first thing you need to do is formulate some quality questions so you have a direction. What EXACTLY do you need to know about the things you don't know about? For instance, if you're doing a piece on the railroad during the 19th century then that should be your focus. Everything from who came up with the concept to the politics and technology that was involved. You want to learn about the different positions that were held during the building, the types of tools they used, the lingo, common problems, etc. It might be a good idea to write your questions down so you can aim for them better.

Researching is no joke. I spent 6 years learning how to properly research and even then, its a pain in the ass. My advice would be to spend several months researching your topic first, before you even touch the screenplay.

Now, when you actually get into it...wow, get ready for that mess. THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS JUMP RIGHT INTO IT. I have to emphasize that. When I first started writing, I didn't do any preliminary notes. I simply started writing and I even wrote it in a novel format, thinking that I would convert it later on. That will waste SOOOO much time and energy, you'll want to kill yourself before you finish.

Instead, read some tutorials online for proper formatting. Granted, your screenplay doesn't have to be picture perfect (unless you're submitting it to big execs) but you should at least understand the basic gist of writing a screenplay so that you can at least communicate what you want to your cast and crew. Just like with novels, screenplays have "devices" that can be used to properly convey your ideas. Brush up on those so your prose looks better.

Once you get a basic understanding of writing a script, then you want to start your preliminary work. What do I mean by this. Essentially, you want to start from the broadest level and work your way down to the nitty gritty. Once again, if you get right into it, you'll get lost in your thoughts and next thing you know, by page 80 you're fucking up. Then it'll blow up in your face and you'll hate yourself for even trying.

Instead, start with a logline and synopsis. Think about what your story is about and try to sum it up in one or two sentences. Google search what a logline is and how to make a good one. Sorry, that requires too much explaining on my end. But, I'll show you a log line for a piece that I'm working on now. Maybe that'll help:

"Scientists discover a large portal expanding deep in space. In six weeks it will reach Earth and no one knows what will happen. Follow a doctor, a thief, a troubled teen, and a sadist as they try to survive a global panic and learn about the true nature of this strange phenomenon."

It's basically a quick gist of what this is about. Definitely easier said than done. Good luck.

After the logline you want to extrapolate that into a synopsis, which is generally a paragraph or two. It would be something like this:

"One day, scientists discover a large portal deep in space. No one has any idea what it is but its expanding fast and consuming everything in its path. In 6 weeks it will reach Earth. Panic erupts causing social disorder in every crevice and corner of the World.

And in the middle of this twisted turn of events are four characters whose fates are strangely linked to one another: A doctor at a prison, a criminal, the daughter of a cult leader, and a sadist. Watch as each of them goes through a six week journey into the dark heart of humanity only to learn about the true meaning of the portal and what reality is."

Then once you have a solid synopsis, you'll want to structure it into a storyarch or some sort. Google that and try to map out your synopsis so that you have a beginning, middle, and end with all the plot points you need to drive the story.

After the story arch, develop a timeline for the whole thing and maybe even some character bios. Fill in every crevice and corner of the story and THEN work on a treatment, which is really just a comprehensive overview of the entire film.

After all that work, then you can start the screenplay and it'll be much easier because you'll have a mountain of notes to anchor yourself so that you're never lost. But of course, you'll be editing the shit out of it for several months before you perfect it.

Not everyone is as comprehensive as this but, I definitely like to be thorough because I truly believe that realism is what gives a film its power. When you make something as realistic as possible, while also exciting then you establish a better connection to your audience, thus bringing them further into the film.

I started writing my first mini series back in November of 2012...And today, I just finished the screenplay for the first episode. It'll be another two years before I have the rest of it done so yeah, have patience because you're going to fuck up a lot before you start to get it right.

Good luck, man!

I don't brainstorm, just play and develop. Writing without formatting first, seems like a good idea. Novels, when they are successful they get a bigger chance to be picked up. Then the buyer pays for the film rights to your story.

Back