video art/experimental films, projects and university

I'm trying to come up with some ideas for my current project on my art foundation course. for my current project we were given two words and no restrictions as to how we interpret the project, we can basically do whatever we want, the words were 'Misinterpretation' and 'Misread'. I want to experiment with film and videos so i'm looking to find any video artists or experimental filmmakers that could provide some inspiration. If anyone has any names of artist or directors that would be awesome!

Also, I'm interested in becoming a filmmaker, but i've recently sent off my uni application and have applied for Fine Art courses (Goldsmiths, Central st Martins, Kingston, Northumbria and Newcastle). I'm kinda nervous though because i'm not sure whether i should do a Fine Art course if i'm interested in being a director. I mean steve mcqueen (the artist/director) comes from an art background and did fine art at uni, so i guess its possible, plus i don't want to take the generic filmmaking course route because then i would just be doing the same as every other wanna be director. but what does everyone think? am i making the right choice by doing a fine art course instead of a filmaking one?

Back