New Sound Designer

Hello all,

I've just graduated with a masters in Sound for the Moving Image in Glasgow, Scotland. I'm mainly looking for sound design work and musical composition but i'm also a keen short film maker.

Any advice on how to start finding freelance work is welcomed, even just a nudge in the right direction. Also, if anyone is needing a hand with an online video project, please drop me a line.

You can check my portfolio of current work at http://www.vimeo.com/paulmcarthur

Thanks, look forward to settling into this community!

I've worked with plenty of guys from this very forum, Composers, Foley, DP's.

Network
. Scout the forums, search for local film-makers in your area, accept no pay if needs must, and get yourself on set. Post some advertisements stating that you're available, willing to travel etc.

Gumtree, FB, Newspapers, whatever means necessary.

I do hope you stick around, your work is great. The very best of luck to you.

I've made a note of your work, as rumour has it we're shooting up in Scotland eary next year. It's a possibility we'll have some work for you, sooner perhaps, but i couldn't promise you so.

To be clear, your area of "Sound Design", to what is your extent? We've had occurences in the past of crew members working under the title "Sound Design", to discover they're capabilities where infact solitary, leaving us in a predicament. This isn't a problem, may i add, it merely allows to hire and cover our crew correctly.

Welcome fellow soundy!!!

You have to do endless freebees, and then a lot more for minimal pay until you've built a reel. The biggest "marketing" tool you can have is a festival selection and, even better, a festival winner. Once those appear on your resumé you can start charging a small percentage of what you're worth. You build from there.

Back