Youtuber gets a billion views.

With two billion views on YouTube, a new book and brands knocking down her door, Scarborough-born Lilly Singh offers a lesson for Canadians looking to ride the wave of cultural disruption

A Youtuber makes $2-4 per 1,000 views, according to this article, and, with a billion views, she may be making $2 million a year. So the internet can be monetized. I was told that there was no money to be made on the internet, but I am getting evidence that's simply not true, and I know a TV director who says it can be done.

I have to go back and rethink things through.

My movie The Corpse That Wouldn't Live was just demonetized because it might be too extreme for Youtube. I would think it was PG 13 at worse. Advertisers don't want to associated with controversial material. That's something else to think about.

You don't need to post your videos of funny pets, news events, or ghost sightings, etc. on your own youtube channel to make money. Place it with a viral video or sell-your-story agency and they market it for you and license it to news outlets and take a cut. Go to Daily Mail's site every day and look at the photo credit at the corner of video stills for agency leads. These agencies pay you by PayPal.

That is NOT my interest. Those who said money cannot be made on the internet are referring to movies. Yes, with Netflix and Amazon, that has changed, but they are a different ball game than YT or the internet in general. At least, that's what they've told me, but I will keep an open mind.
Since doing what this woman is doing is NOT your interest but
you are asking if a big- or mid-budget movie, say $10 million
to $100 million, can make money on the internet have you done
much research on those numbers?

Like you I am interested in what filmmakers can do rather than
what someone like Ms. Singh has done. Do you have any relevant
numbers to post or is it true that filmmakers cannot make money
on the internet?

Since doing what this woman is doing is NOT your interest but
you are asking if a big- or mid-budget movie, say $10 million
to $100 million, can make money on the internet have you done
much research on those numbers?

Like you I am interested in what filmmakers can do rather than
what someone like Ms. Singh has done. Do you have any relevant
numbers to post or is it true that filmmakers cannot make money
on the internet?

I haven't done any research, but I've asked Louise Levison, author of Filmmakers and Financing, and she said that, as far as she knows, no movie has made money on the internet (aside from any shown on Netflix and the like).

Ms. Levinson is probably correct. Which make me wonder why this woman
who is not posting movies on Youtube makes you have to go back and rethink
things through. What are you rethinking?

I already figured this out last year but took the plunge to start vlogging and mixing it in with filmmaking, its not perfect but im on the ball at least, I honestly think I will just stick with online content from now on whether it be short films, feature films or whatever, I will obviously wish that one film hits the big screens however I think that online is the future and the fact that I will be able to see live reaction and how many and where they are watching from is more exciting to me as an artist.

Ms. Levinson is probably correct. Which make me wonder why this woman
who is not posting movies on Youtube makes you have to go back and rethink
things through. What are you rethinking?

Repetition is key to understanding. When you read something, you go back, reconsider all you have learned, and see if your initial conclusion is correct. I have to revise my knowledge of the law every so often, and that is routine.

Simply pick a handful of youtube videos at random and look at how many views they have had. You will see that most only have a few hundred plays. Personally, we have 117 videos on youtube...some for many years....and our LIFETIME earnings for ALL 117 videos combined is only $59.58

Hi Rayandmigdalia,
-Do you know the type of arrangement advertisers have on your videos? Depending on the type of ad contract they pick, the advertiser only pays if people click on the ad, or if they watch a certain number of seconds before they skip the ad.
-Do all your videos have ads all the time?
These could explain why you're not getting more money. I've read it's not simply about the views.

I've read it's not simply about the views.

But still it is true: most videos on YouTube don't reach the 1000 views.
And views still count, because no matter what kind of add you have on your video: 0 views = 0 income.

Taylor Swift made 4 million on YouTube with 4 billion views.
This makes it really about views.
Rayandmigdalia might tweak a little here and there, but that wouldn't have made the total income 10 or 100 times higher. The only way to accomplish that is more views. It is a numbers game. Most YouTubers don't make their money from YouTube adds only: they also use affiliate marketing to sell what they talk about.

My movie The Corpse That Wouldn't Live was just demonetized because it might be too extreme for Youtube. I would think it was PG 13 at worse. Advertisers don't want to associated with controversial material. That's something else to think about.

certain keywords like "Corpse" would definitely be auto-demonetized

It also takes a ton of work to build a channel. You have to post videos at least once per week. Once per day would be better. Jenna Marbles was lucky enough to have one video go viral (How to trick people into thinking you're good looking). That's what got her on her way.

But thinking you're going to be the next YouTube sensation is like all of the people who move to Hollywood thinking they're going to be the next great model, actor / actress, musician, etc. It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll. I know too many people with great talent who never made it after years of trying. YouTube has to be equally as challenging.

Back