Now I'm torn...

Grats Will, sort of wish I was buying a kit at the moment, but since I'm off on another expedition run in April the timing is still not quite right.

We needed external battery packs (5 is a minimum number)

Another imo moment of you guys will indulge. Not sure what you guys used, but I'd go here for power at this point:

http://www.cinemaoxide.com/v-mount-to-4-pin-xlr.php

The guys there are pretty cool and could probably make a 4-pin to BMD4K cable for you. This way you've basically future-proofed your battery investment. Also, since you are going to need to rig the camera anyway, the battery plate makes a nice counter-weight. Finally, you can just d-tap to power an external monitor, your EVF (if separate from external monitor), Atmos or other recorder, juice-link or other audio solution/recorder, and so on.

Admittedly a bit more initial outlay, but you can keep it from camera to camera, or leverage it on a camera that you rent.

Definitely planning on v-mount, haven't quite settled on a particular solution though. Not entirely sure if the 4pin XLR is the right solution for me though.. although, my existing external monitor can by powered by 4pin xlr. *shrug*

Having the ability to go wide doesn't mean you want every shot wide. Most of us like to mix it up a little, some wide, medium, c/u etc. If this still doesn't make sense I can elaborate further.

Having the ability to go wide doesn't mean you want every shot wide. Most of us like to mix it up a little, some wide, medium, c/u etc. If this still doesn't make sense I can elaborate further.

Quite an obvious statement...

Only problem is that an inherent crop factor essentially shrinks space for you. I would rather not have to use expensive fisheye lenses indoors just so that the crop factor allows me to see the inside of a room. It tends to be quite a bit easier to go long than wide, so crop factor does create issues on that front.

Quite an obvious statement...

Only problem is that an inherent crop factor essentially shrinks space for you. I would rather not have to use expensive fisheye lenses indoors just so that the crop factor allows me to see the inside of a room. It tends to be quite a bit easier to go long than wide, so crop factor does create issues on that front.

That's my point.

actually i should have asked a better question your right.. i will now go and lash myself in my stupidity..

Woh. You probably know I didn't mean it like that, not anything like it.

Sounds like you'll have an awesome rig, Will. Don't be shy posting some clips when you get it going. ;)

Sounds like you'll have an awesome rig, Will. Don't be shy posting some clips when you get it going. ;)

I will have.. right now it's just a place in the digital line. :)

But yeah, once it's all in my possession, I'll put everything together and post some photos.

Slightly hijacking this thread because I don't want to start a new one, but I'd love to get some advice on this:

I think I may be about to purchase a Canon C100 for my own personal use. I bought a Canon C100 + relevant kit last month (or maybe the month) before as part of a job, but I bought all of that new. I've been quoted a secondhand price for the camera and it seems pretty good to me. BUT I'm aware that the C100 mk2 is due to be released in the New Year, so my question is, how much should the C100 be valued at now? Presumably with the release of a new version, older C100 will look at a relatively big depreciation, so what would be a reasonable price to pay for a used C100 in today's market?

Thanks! :)

According to ebay, the going rate seems to average right around $4000 for the body only.

That's about what the camera retails at, new, in the UK. So I'd definitely avoid paying that much for used.

I'm curious to not what the general depreciation on cameras are. For example, how much did the price of a 5D MKII drop after the release of the MKIII?

I wouldn't say there was a huge impact on used prices for the mkII when the mkIII came out, because the mkIII retailed at a somewhat higher price point than the mkII did. I think the arrival of the 6D probably had more impact, because that made a full-frame body available new at about what the mkII had been selling for used. I'm getting ready to sell mine and it looks like the current price range has dropped to about $1000-1200 for the body.

On the C100 it seems like many of the upgrades are functional rather than to the output - better screen & viewfinder, etc. This means that from a purely quality standpoint the first-gen is still pretty competitive, and should hold a reasonable value on the used market.

Cool, Nick. So why the C100? Not questioning your interest in it. Just wondering why you're interested in it, since it's hardly mentioned as a camera of interest here. Care to tell why you like it or what your decision making process has been to lead you to it? Just inquiring minds... =)

Back