RIP Gene Wilder

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
In 1971, Wilder auditioned to play Willy Wonka in Mel Stuart's film adaptation of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After reciting some lines, Wilder prepared to leave the auditioning station, but Mel Stuart (who was a fan of Wilder) ran after him and offered the role to him immediately. Wilder was initially hesitant when he learned more on the role, but finally accepted the role under one condition:

"When I make my first entrance, I'd like to come out of the door carrying a cane and then walk toward the crowd with a limp. After the crowd sees Willy Wonka is a cripple, they all whisper to themselves and then become deathly quiet. As I walk toward them, my cane sinks into one of the cobblestones I'm walking on and stands straight up, by itself... but I keep on walking, until I realize that I no longer have my cane. I start to fall forward, and just before I hit the ground, I do a beautiful forward somersault and bounce back up, to great applause."

When Stuart asked why, Wilder replied, "Because from that time on, no one will know if I'm lying or telling the truth."

Sheer brilliance that set the tone for the entire film.

I once bumped into Mr. Wilder; we both grabbed the same book in a bookstore. A very polite, pleasant person.

I've always enjoyed his work, especially his films with Mel Brooks.

We'll miss you, Gene.

Willy+Wonka+&+the+Chocolate+Factory+Willy+Wonka+Gene+Wilder.jpg

47+-+gene+wilder+young+frankenstein+1974.jpg

42-2.jpg

RIP. Loved all of his films, but the one that always gets me is The Little Prince. Not because it's a particularly good adaptation (though miles better than the recent animated one; I could go on and on about that one). It's because Wilder, of all people involved with any adaptation, really GOT it. Whatever lies beyond, I hope he's with Gilda now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_COHR24KWY

RIP.

Seeing "Young Frankenstein" in a Soviet movie club as a kid, back in 1989, opened my eyes and heart to the American charming comedy, witty dialogue, and "Old Hollywood" orchestra sound. It made me go back and see the actual swing era movies, which I enjoy greatly.

And another thing which comes to mind, is his soft and nuanced dealing with the plot of "Woman in Red". Though the original French movie is highly enjoyable and true, making the remake character with those harmless eyes, and fatal inability to cheat on his family, made the whole thing much more humane, just as Wilder himself.

Back