AGC-Sound problems

Hey!
I have the nikon d3200 and i just bought a rode videomic pro, and it seems that its not working properly, mostly beacuse of AGC.
A lot of people says you have to use a a preamp (juicedlink has agc disable) or an external recorder.

Which one should i use if i want clear loud audio and no post sync.
Are there any other way to do this with the D3200+rode videomic pro.

I don't know too much about the D3200, but I'm assuming that there is no way to turn off the AGC.

Using a preamp directly to a camera with undefeatable AGC only mitigates the problem somewhat, it will not eliminate the issue. BTW, as far as I know, the BeachTek or juicedLink units have only XLR audio inputs; none of them use the minipin used by the RVMP so you would need to use an adapter, possibly creating new problems.

Using an external recorder (fairly standard with professional filmmakers) gives you the most options in the long term. For the best sound you should have - at the least - someone to "swing" the boom-pole, constantly adjusting the aim of the mic from actor to actor. When using an external recorder the boom-op/PSM is not tethered to the camera, allowing more mobility, and reducing RF and EM interference, which can be serious problem of with long Hi-Z (high impedance) cable runs. And, the most important for low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers, upgrading audio and visual components become separate issues, so is less expensive in the long run; you won't have to upgrade audio and camera at the same time.

I don't know too much about the D3200, but I'm assuming that there is no way to turn off the AGC.

Using a preamp directly to a camera with undefeatable AGC only mitigates the problem somewhat, it will not eliminate the issue. BTW, as far as I know, the BeachTek or juicedLink units have only XLR audio inputs; none of them use the minipin used by the RVMP so you would need to use an adapter, possibly creating new problems.

Using an external recorder (fairly standard with professional filmmakers) gives you the most options in the long term. For the best sound you should have - at the least - someone to "swing" the boom-pole, constantly adjusting the aim of the mic from actor to actor. When using an external recorder the boom-op/PSM is not tethered to the camera, allowing more mobility, and reducing RF and EM interference, which can be serious problem of with long Hi-Z (high impedance) cable runs. And, the most important for low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers, upgrading audio and visual components become separate issues, so is less expensive in the long run; you won't have to upgrade audio and camera at the same time.

Thanks for your answer! If i connect my vmp to, for example a h4n and than the h4n to my 3200, will there be audio problems? Or i have to syn that in post anyhow?

Plugging into the audio input of the D3200 is the problem; no matter what you do you will still have to deal with AGC issues. That's why I recommend that you use an external recorder. Syncing is boring, but is quite straightforward - as long as you keep detailed video/audio logs, and slate the head & tail of each take. You will also have the camera audio as a reference, which makes the job A LOT easier. You probably can't afford PluralEyes or something similar, although you could possibly use a demo version for a while.

As your mic - the RVMP - is a Hi-Z unit you could use something like the Tascam DR-05; it's cheaper than the DR-100 (which is the equivalent of the H4n; I personally don't care for Zoom products). So, unless you are looking to upgrade your mic in the future, save the few dollars for now.

Back