Low budget movie

Hello friends,

I have made couple of short movies (indian language) and i am planning for a full length movie some time next year. Basically, my idea is to make a. Movie which is high on contents and low on the budget. Am spending lot of time for the scripting work. Also i dont have any time constrants for the actual production time. I just made a high level budgeting and i understood that 25 to 35% of the cost is incurred by te camera and its equipmet. So i havethe following questons

1) i have read lot of articles on filming on iphone ( full length). Can i aso use this option to shoot my etre movie ? I know it is not possible to get cinematic depth of field using iphone and filmic pro app. Apart from that are there any other manjor disadvantages why the movie cant be filmed uusing iphone? I want to screen te move in norma movie halls/multiplexes.

2) if option 1 is not feasible, i would want to soot using basic dslr camera loke canon 500/ canon 600 which i can borrow from my friends so that i dont have to pay.

Looking frward fr the suggestions and help.

Thaks in advance.

Apart from that are there any other manjor disadvantages why the movie cant be filmed uusing iphone?

Color grading options are limited.
You'll probably find that your lighting requirement will be a lot higher using an iphone over a camera that performs well in low light, depending on what you're shooting.

25 to 35% of the cost is incurred by te camera and its equipmet

That depends if you really skimp on the other areas. If you skimp on the other important areas, I can see how you'll get to 25/35% of your budget in camera costs.

1) i have read lot of articles on filming on iphone ( full length). Can i aso use this option to shoot my etre movie ?
Yes.
Anyone who can edit together 90 to 110 minutes of video, no matter the quality of image or audio or subject, has technically "made a feature length film."

I know it is not possible to get cinematic depth of field using iphone and filmic pro app. Apart from that are there any other manjor disadvantages why the movie cant be filmed uusing iphone?
No.
Audio collection is going to be your greatest challenge.

I want to screen te move in norma movie halls/multiplexes.
You need to ask the movie halls/multiplexes what their technical specifications are for getting an image on screen AND audio across their speaker system.
Not to mention who's going to pay for them to show this or any other film.
It costs money to run a business, and theaters are a business.

2) if option 1 is not feasible, i would want to soot using basic dslr camera loke canon 500/ canon 600 which i can borrow from my friends so that i dont have to pay.
You'll have the exact same audio challenges to overcome with only better images.
And the issue remains of who's paying for the theater to show this film.

Talk to your local theater owners, or if you plan on submitting your film to festivals you should ask them for their technical specifications on video & audio format.
Audiences will tolerate less than spectacular images, but poor audio will kill your opportunity.

Good luck & best wishes.

I have limited experience in that exact portion of the field but I don't think high quality low budget is all that feasible. I guess maybe it'll depend on the content you want.

But to get the ball rolling yeah dude... shoot it on an iPhone. My iPhone takes crazy good video. I'd be more worried about audio. IMO audio makes/breaks a lot of peoples projects. If you can get that in order I think you're good to go.
-- Basically what rayw said. Sorry just read that, Ray.

But if you're worried about it shoot some test footage on your iPhone and upload it so we can view it and critique it for you.

Back