• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Online Collaboration

sfoster

Staff Member
Is there any internet based screen writing software that allows two people to edit a screen play / view edits to a screen play in real time?

Is there any internet based screen writing software that allows two people to edit a screen play / view edits to a screen play in real time?

Not aware of any. According to the internets, the latest version of Final Draft (9.0.4) includes "CollaboWrtier," which allegedly allows multiple FD users to collaborate online in realtime. I'd definitely read some reviews before I invested in it, though.

I'm happy with my 8.0 version.

I believe Adobe Story has that option if you buy the full version. It's an in-browser screenwriting software that I use from time to time if I need to work in a browser (i.e. if I'm at a public library and want to work). Only problem is I think that both people have to have the full version in order for it to work.

WriterDuet. There is a pro-version available, but the free version is fine for real-time, full duplex collaboration (i.e. you can watch the changes the other person makes as they make them).

I've used it for two collaborations spanning 16,000 miles across the globe, and am currently using it for a complex, multi-episode collaboration with multiple versions, notes and edits. There are few glitches now and then, but mostly it works flawlessly.

(I have no association with WriterDuet, by the way. I probably shouldn't have posted this recommendation either, as increasing the userbase will only speed up the terrible day it ceases to be free...)

Last edited:
adobe story for sure, only one of you needs to own it, and if you have CC you own it, I thought the newer versions of celtx had a cloud based setup.

That's the Celtx Studio.... it requires you to have the paid membership for like 6 dollars a month to have real-time editing... but I do believe Desktop you can do Cloud based saving, but not two people working at the same time.

And thank you for pointing out the CC thing... I have CC and didn't know Adobe Story was part of it. (I thought that was discontinued when CS6 came out)

Okay I created an adobe story project.. supposedly I can use this for online collaboration in the web browser.

Would anyone want to try? I have a couple of shorts that I'm working on.

Understand we may not see eye to eye but I have gotten some good feedback here, who knows. It's worth a shot perhaps.

Crime thriller type stuff mostly.

Okay I created an adobe story project.. supposedly I can use this for online collaboration in the web browser.

Would anyone want to try? I have a couple of shorts that I'm working on.

Understand we may not see eye to eye but I have gotten some good feedback here, who knows. It's worth a shot perhaps.

Crime thriller type stuff mostly.

If you're asking for a collaborator I'm always interested in that sort of thing :) I don't own Adobe Story though. And I don't see eye-to-eye with anybody :D

If you're asking for a collaborator I'm always interested in that sort of thing :) I don't own Adobe Story though. And I don't see eye-to-eye with anybody :D

Cool I will shoot you a private message.
I think you just need an email address and you can register to use adobe story for free. I have creative cloud which is a paid version and I created the project.

I have 3 upcoming projects right now.

Last edited:
I scared maz away with my pro-gun propaganda film I started working on this week :lol:

So I still need a collaborator!
The other stuff I'm doing isn't propaganda.

I scared maz away with my pro-gun propaganda film I started working on this week :lol:

So I still need a collaborator!
The other stuff I'm doing isn't propaganda.

:lol:

You didn't scare me away. I'm not a big fan of propaganda in any medium, but I've actually just been reading the other scripts you sent, and realised that I'd already read them on here (and made lots of suggestions to you in the threads you posted, I think? If I didn't I certainly intended to :))

So are you looking for a collaborator for episodes going forward? If so, it would be useful to see some sort of breakdown of the overall story/what happens in which episode or whatever. In TV I think they call it a 'Bible', which is crucial when multiple people are trying to work with the same characters and on the same story.

I like the idea of propaganda from a marketing perspective.
I'm excited to see if I can get more shares on Facebook, etc since it makes a strong political point. People like to share that stuff because it gives them an opportunity to broadcast their own opinions on the topic.

If anyone is interested in a pro-gun short thriller let me know :P

:lol:

You didn't scare me away. I'm not a big fan of propaganda in any medium, but I've actually just been reading the other scripts you sent, and realised that I'd already read them on here (and made lots of suggestions to you in the threads you posted, I think? If I didn't I certainly intended to :))

So are you looking for a collaborator for episodes going forward? If so, it would be useful to see some sort of breakdown of the overall story/what happens in which episode or whatever. In TV I think they call it a 'Bible', which is crucial when multiple people are trying to work with the same characters and on the same story.

Yeah I liked your feedback and believe I incorporated some of it. Or at the very least built upon it. I think the new opening for episode 2 was a big improvement on what I originally had.

So I have 2 episodes written. Episode 3 has a treatment with a totally different storyline with different characters.

Think of it like ep 1&2 = captain america, episode 3 = iron man, and episode 4= The Avengers.

It's really wide open for episode 4, but the characters will be trying to kill each other. A lot of room for input and development on the final episode. Normally I'm a big planner but I didn't even intend to go past episode 1 originally. We could make that plan together.

The only small ideas I have for the finale
1 - Get the two fantastic actors from episode 2 and episode 3 to have a scene together.
2 - Have a fight scene where one guy hires a bunch of muscle and the big dude has to fight them all at once.

We could optionally also go past 4 episodes but it seems nice to have closure, at least for a 'season'

Last edited:
Interesting. Is the four episode run a practical limit, in terms of the filming time you have available? It doesn't seem to be much time to tell a story, especially one with as many characters as you put into play in ep 2!

Interesting. Is the four episode run a practical limit, in terms of the filming time you have available? It doesn't seem to be much time to tell a story, especially one with as many characters as you put into play in ep 2!

I picked 4 because the longer you go on, the greater the chance of problems arising with an actor dropping off the project somehow.

All I talked about in auditions for ep. 2/3 was the 4 episode plan so I'd have to ask the cast how they felt about going longer if it were a necessary thing.

I picked 4 because the longer you go on, the greater the chance of problems arising with an actor dropping off the project somehow.

All I talked about in auditions for ep. 2/3 was the 4 episode plan so I'd have to ask the cast how they felt about going longer if it were a necessary thing.

I always assumed 6-7 episodes would be optimal... space for a subplot, some minor characters and a 3-act structure within the season itself. A lot of the cast you've assembled will likely be heavily underutilised in only 4 episodes, I would've thought?

I always assumed 6-7 episodes would be optimal... space for a subplot, some minor characters and a 3-act structure within the season itself. A lot of the cast you've assembled will likely be heavily underutilised in only 4 episodes, I would've thought?

That seems like a lot to tackle. The episodes have gotten longer in length, from 3 minutes to 10. And the next will probably be 15.

The structure I was envisioning was more like capt america, iron man, avengers. They each get a film to establish themselves and then in the avengers it's a ensemble cast.

For a lot of online stuff it seems shorter is better, but maybe if I heard some concrete ideas I would be sold. Or perhaps resolve one subplot and introduce another, if the audience responds well we can do a second season with more episodes?

The people from episode 1 are just friends of mine. So we could use them in future episodes for sure.

I could send you the third episode outline and see if that's something you're interested in. It's a tad bit irresponsible by showcasing how to commit criminal acts like steal a car ;) and how to anonymously get an unregistered firearm in america.

All examples of the protagonists intelligence. It's a walter white style character.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot to tackle. The episodes have gotten longer in length, from 3 minutes to 10. And the next will probably be 15.

The structure I was envisioning was more like capt america, iron man, avengers. They each get a film to establish themselves and then in the avengers it's a ensemble cast.

For a lot of online stuff it seems shorter is better, but maybe if I heard some concrete ideas I would be sold. Or perhaps resolve one subplot and introduce another, if the audience responds well we can do a second season with more episodes?

The people from episode 1 are just friends of mine. So we could use them in future episodes for sure.

I could send you the third episode outline and see if that's something you're interested in. It's a tad bit irresponsible by showcasing how to commit criminal acts like steal a car ;) and how to anonymously get an unregistered firearm in america.

All examples of the protagonists intelligence. It's a walter white style character.

Yeah, go for it. Sounds like fun.

Back