Relativity Media is bankrupt.

The investment legend, Warren Buffett, said that, when a management team known for its brilliance tries to take on an industry with a bad reputation, the bad reputation survives intact. I was thinking of his quote when I read of Relativity Media going bankrupt.

The company was said to make choices based on mathematical formulas that would weed out flops, a similar tactic that Wall Street hedge funds use to make stock picks.

The strategy was such a success that he turned Relativity into a full-fledged studio in 2010 that would release its own films rather than merely fund pictures put out by bigger companies like Sony Pictures and Universal Pictures. He came to the business with bold claims of changing the Hollywood model and concocting ways to reduce the risks inherent in making movies.

His company is not the first to use math (and, I presume, statistics) to predict box office sucessess and fail, and he will not be the last. Louise Levison has a better approach - just focus on the quality of the story.

Back