Shotgun Mic for a GH4

Ideally, want to get one for around $100 or less. If that is a waste of money, then, let me know your thoughts on shotgun mics.

The final product is likely a Youtube/Vimeo movie, or FB post.

Thanks.

In general Rode mic's are good starters. THIS ONE is in your price range.

A good mic will last longer than your camera. When you can afford it you
should upgrade to a mic that will last you for many years. An excellent
Sennheiser set up (around $450 all in) will last more than 20 years. That's
About $20 per year. I'm using a Sennheiser that I bought in 1985.

In general Rode mic's are good starters. THIS ONE is in your price range.

A good mic will last longer than your camera. When you can afford it you
should upgrade to a mic that will last you for many years. An excellent
Sennheiser set up (around $450 all in) will last more than 20 years. That's
About $20 per year. I'm using a Sennheiser that I bought in 1985.

Cool. That Rode you just quoted is one of two mics in my cart at B&H, I'm just asking around to see if I'm making a mistake or not. Rode makes a smaller one at around the $50 mark, was considering that one too, but, I'm sure I'd regret getting a cheaper mic. Might as well pony up for the one mentioned above and a dead cat since I film outside a lot. And it always seems to be windy.

Also, I wasn't sure if the GH4 had a powered jack. It's a new camera, I have barely gotten to use it, and don't know that camera very well yet.

Thanks.

Regarding the Sennheiser. Which one would you recommend?

I Bought a Sennheiser EW100 wireless mic. I bought it for my Sony AX2000 and a Rode NTG-1 too.

I used it for a month straight 12 hours a day, then it sat for a while and I rarely used it, so I sold it on eBay. About a month later, I regretted it, and bought the same mic again from B&H.

I think I'll keep it this time. Such an incredible mic. In one scene, you could actually hear the heartbeat of the guy wearing it.

If you are going to mount the mic on the camera a shotgun mic is your worst option. The Rode VideoMic GO is a good option for you, as is the the Rode VideoMic and Rode VideoMic Pro, as they are all supercardioid mics.

Why videomic instead of mounted shotgun mic?

If you are going to mount the mic on the camera a shotgun mic is your worst option. The Rode VideoMic GO is a good option for you, as is the the Rode VideoMic and Rode VideoMic Pro, as they are all supercardioid mics.

Just curious - why do you say that mounting a shotgun mic is the worst option? Rode's NTG series shotguns are pretty small for shotgun mics, but I'm not sure if you just mean the weight or what.

Just curious - why do you say that mounting a shotgun mic is the worst option?

Because of the polar pattern. Shotguns need to be very precisely aimed. If the mic is mounted on the camera the best looking shot may be the worst sounding position for sound; you could end up recording whatever is coming out of the subjects ear or whatever is over their shoulder. Supercardioids and hypercardioids are the best options for camera mounted mics.

Because of the polar pattern. Shotguns need to be very precisely aimed. If the mic is mounted on the camera the best looking shot may be the worst sounding position for sound; you could end up recording whatever is coming out of the subjects ear or whatever is over their shoulder. Supercardioids and hypercardioids are the best options for camera mounted mics.

This. The problem with mounting is two fold: distance and angle. If either are off, your sound gets ruined. And bad sound is way worse than bag images.
Try using a Videomic Pro is a quiet room. Record your voice with the Mic a couple of feet away, pointed toward your face.
Then try it pointed at 90 degrees.
Then with the mic 8 feet away.

Back