• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

I'm Back with a New Film!

Wow. It's been almost a year since I've posted in here. For everyone who recognizes me, hello again. I'm glad to be back. For those who don't, my name is Justin! I'm a filmmaker from Chicago, IL.

My return isn't a random one as I am promoting a short film about magicians that I'm directing called, The Vanishing Act!

The Vanishing Act tells the story of a magician’s assistant who wants to finally have his big break but is hindered by the veteran magician he works for.
The film is not only about the true wonder of magic, but in its core, it's also about our basic human needs of wanting to be loved and accepted.

We currently have an Indiegogo campaign up and running and we really need your help in making this film a reality; we need to remind people how fascinating magic truly is (especially that there isn't much films that is about magic).

Ever since when I was a kid, I've always been enthralled by magic. In fact, my parents would buy me these how-to magic books and I'd always impress my friends with my card and coin tricks. Their reaction to the mystery was something that's so special to me. Now as a filmmaker, I finally have the opportunity to combine my love for cinema and magic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

http://igg.me/at/thevanishingactfilm/x/10363426

Nice to see you post again, Justin. Great to see you're making a film! Made a small contribution. Hope it all goes well.

Good video; kept me interested. Goodluck with the film and do share it here.

The $750 seems really low to me, though, even for renting all the equipment and not paying any cast and crew. Do you already have a lot of the equipment covered? Your campaign seems to be doing well. I haven't used indiegogo so i don't know if you can change the target goal or not. If yes, perhaps recalculate the cost of all the equipment needed and see if you need more money.

Just advising, since the concept is cool and I hope you have the equipment u need to execute it well. I love films about magic too :)

he $750 seems really low to me, though, even for renting all the equipment and not paying any cast and crew.

I agree. Personally when I see a target like that I think 'well, heck, couldn't you and your producer just raise that money yourself relatively easily by pulling a few shifts somewhere?' Ironically I'd be more likely to donate to someone asking for $2,000 than $750 I think.

Having said that if 750 is all you need then 750 is all you need, so why ask for more. I just made a small contribution also. Good luck with it. It's looks like you're well on your way to reaching the total.

Having another look at the campaign page I see you mention a doco called 'Behind the Magic'. Maybe a clickable link there to the film could've been cool?

Justin, only had time to watch your video for less than a minute. I like you already.

I'll make a contribution by Wednesday. I'd be interested in ANYTHING you work on.

Last edited:

The $750 seems really low to me, though, even for renting all the equipment and not paying any cast and crew. Do you already have a lot of the equipment covered? Your campaign seems to be doing well. I haven't used indiegogo so i don't know if you can change the target goal or not. If yes, perhaps recalculate the cost of all the equipment needed and see if you need more money.

Just advising, since the concept is cool and I hope you have the equipment u need to execute it well. I love films about magic too :)

$750 wouldn't even pay a lighting crew for a day, but if you watch his video, he comes across very credible and I believe he knows enough people who are willing to work for free. And regardless of their abilities, he will make a great film.

Humble as pie. Great kid.

The goal is pretty low, but it's a lot for a student film (it's definitely big for me having only done no budget run and gun films). That said, we do have SOME access to some equipment from our school (it's really not a lot, trust me), from friends, and have gotten HUGE discounts on gear rental. My production heads have a way of getting stuff for cheap, if not free. So I'm not worried.

Also if anything, there's always the possibility of getting more than our intended goal. I hope that makes sense!

Thank you for checking out our campaign! It was nice hearing from you again, Ernest!

I agree. Personally when I see a target like that I think 'well, heck, couldn't you and your producer just raise that money yourself relatively easily by pulling a few shifts somewhere?' Ironically I'd be more likely to donate to someone asking for $2,000 than $750 I think.

Having said that if 750 is all you need then 750 is all you need, so why ask for more. I just made a small contribution also. Good luck with it. It's looks like you're well on your way to reaching the total.

Having another look at the campaign page I see you mention a doco called 'Behind the Magic'. Maybe a clickable link there to the film could've been cool?

I wouldn't even know where to start raising $750 just by ourselves haha. But yeah, I see what you're saying. After sitting down with our production heads, we really are confident that we can do this film with the goal at hand. If do end up getting more than we intended, then I wouldn't mind that too! :)

My doc is currently in post and I do plan on posting it in the page soon!

Lastly, thank you so much for your contribution. It means a lot.

Justin, only had time to watch your video for less than a minute. I like you already.

I'll make a contribution by Wednesday. I'd be interested in ANYTHING you work on.

Wow, thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate the support and look forward to your contribution! :D

Same here :) I remember you from the "old days."

How about a post or thread sharing how you approached online crowdfunding and made people aware of your project? I would be really interested since I've toyed with the idea in the past.

Yeah hopefully I'll be more active again! I miss my days here. Learned a lot!

And most definitely! I'm still finding ways to spread the word about my project as I go through this campaign so I'll keep you guys updated about some revelations or lessons learned. :)

Back