Size of a 'Hollywood' feature

As we can see, the Full HD footage takes a lot of size. For example, 1min of HDSLR HD footage takes up to 330MB. So if I make a feature, say 90min long, it would take up to 30GB!
We also know that the film format is 2K which, in theory, should take up twice as much.
Sorry, if I wrote something wrong, but how do these 'Hollywood'-level features get compressed to, eg. 1.5-4GB.

Feel free to correct me! ;)

1920 * 1080 = 1.9K
2048 * 1080 = 2K

DSLR footage is very highly compressed. For example…

An ARRI Alexa recording 1080p at 24fps, compressed with ProRes (HQ) has a data rate of 24.7 MB/s. One minute of footage takes up 1.5 GB; one hour is 90.1 GB.

A RED One recording 4K at 24fps, compressed with REDCODE 42 has a data rate of 42.0 MB/s. One minute of footage takes up 2.5 GB; one hour is 152.2 GB.

(Figures are averages and taken from AJA DataCalc iPhone app.)

how do these 'Hollywood'-level features get compressed to, eg. 1.5-4GB.

...with compression software? :hmm:

To clarify, you are talking about how the final product can be small enough to fit on a DVD, or portable player... right?

When it's time to export the final cut for a movie, there's all kinds of decisions to be made. Almost all of them revolving around what the viewing destination is going to be. There will be several exported files, all for use in different areas. The digital projection at the cinema will be one sized file, the master for the BluRay will be different than the master for the DVD, the digital download for your Zune will be even smaller.

...if that's what you're talking about. :cool:

Back