Sensors like 35mm needed or no?

Ok...a Canon XL1 has only a 1/3" sensor.
However, according to my recent research, sensors that match near the 35mm size are the ones that produce the more FILM look.

I am seeing cameras listed such as:
Canon xl1, Canon GL1 and even more consumer ones such as Canon VIXIA HF G10 which has the same size sensor as these others which are older, but considered "professional".

I see other cameras with a 35mm equivelent sensor, making the sensor larger and therefore said to produce more of a film look. I know the lens matter too...but I am wondering what is the deal with the sensors. I am reading about it, but I hope people can enlighten. Please advise.
Peace.

The larger the sensor, the more shallow the depth of field.

Those cameras you listed are nowhere near 35mm sensor size. DSLRs (Canon, Panasonic, Nikon and Sony) and some newer more video-oriented cameras from Sony and Panasonic are the under-$10k options. Then there's the new Canon C300, the Sony CineAlta series, RED (Epic, one, scarlet) and way up there is Arri Alexa, Panavision's digital series, and some of the phantoms.

They range from $500 to well over $100K, and all have the large sensor.

One thing to bare in mind is cine cameras exposed VERTICAL frames so in reality frame size was not 35mm. Supposed to be closer in size to the APS-C sensors such as 7D and 550D and Nikon equivalents.
Super shallow DOF isn't always an advantage btw, depending on what you're shooting.

I've been shooting on an XL1s for some time (5 years or so) and love it... although I'm looking at working toward a DSLR solution after having worked with one on our last set... but I can still get good pix out of my 3CCD 1/3" camera... although given enough time, I can get good pix out of my cell phone and my old VHS camera too.

Back