• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Likable vs Sympathetic Characters

There is a widely held notion that a character has to be 'likable' in order to be 'sympathetic' —*which is a notion I refute. I've recently created a video that explores this in more detail, using The Wolf of Wall Street as a starting point. You can watch it here.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Consulting

Yes, I do offer consulting services. In fact, I am offering special discounts on consulting right now as part of my Kickstarter campaign, at http://bit.ly/stkstr. (ends on June 30!)

The campaign is to develop a series of media-rich ebooks about story structure analysis. These will be the only ebooks of their kind, and they shed new light onto our great films, both classic and current. I am looking forward to creating them!

You can also find more information on my website at www.screentakes.com. But the Kickstarter campaign is offering some valuable promotions on my services.

Let me know if you have any questions!

This is what I've taught others as well. I'd also add that it's not even necessary for them to be vulnerable or sympathetic. They need to be relatable or intriguing. I'd hardly say that Michael Meyers or Freddie Krueger are characters we sympathize with or express vulnerability. Or even Predator. However, in horror, the pervasiveness and unstoppable nature often intrigues our primal sense. Vulnerability is certainly one tool in the writer's kit but not the only for creating memorable characters. Good luck with your Kickstarter campaign. The video clip was well done.

The Godfather does not have like-able or sympathetic characters and that's considered by many to be the greatest film of all time.

In screenwriting, the term 'sympathetic character' has a specific meaning that does not necessarily mean the same as feeling sympathy for someone. It is used to identify a function, or a set of functions, a character has in the structure of a story. Which is what I am talking about in that video.

In The Godfather, Michael Corleone starts out having just come back from the war, being the youngest son in a family where his older brothers have a more powerful position than he does, and he has a non-Italian girlfriend and wants to keep the distance from his family's business. He is clearly at a power disadvantage. This is what helps us to become engaged with a story about a brutal ruthless crime family. This proves my point because we then see him more and more adapted to the crime family, which means maladapted to society as I discuss in the video. Because of the power disadvantage we see him in in the beginning, we become engaged with him, and we're willing to go with him as he exhibits more maladapted behavior.

The Godfather works because everyone else is more crooked than the Corleone family. The cops are crooks. The politicians are crooks. The other mob guys are traitors and rats, whereas the Corleone family are loyal and family oriented.

More specific example:
Sollozzo asks The Godfather to go into business with him and gets turned down, but Don Vito wishes him well.
Sollozzo's reaction? He tries to kill the man.

The film doesn't show the effects of prostitution or drug use or anything else that would cast the protagonists in a bad light. Every effort is made to make the Corleone family seem like the good guys in a very bad world.

A couple of other examples in the very first scene of the film:

1. Bonasera's daughter was gang raped and badly beaten to the point of disfigurement. The perpetrators were found guilty in a court of law, but because of who they were (good old white boys) and his daughter's immigrant background, the judge suspended the sentence.
As Bonasera says: "They walked free that very day!"

The film depicts a lawful but inadequate justice system, appealing to the audience's pathos. When a court of law is corrupt and incapable of carrying out justice, who should you turn to? You turn to Don Corleone. He may act outside the law, but he's better than the law. The law did not supply justice, but Don Vito will give you justice.

2. In this light, Bonasera asks Don Corleone to kill the guys who raped and disfigured his daughter. But Don Corleone does not acquiesce -- he tells Bonasera that his daughter is still alive, so killing them would not be equal justice. Instead, the writers (through Don Corleone's dialogue) make an appeal to the audience's logos ... equal justice would be an eye for an eye. Since Bonasera's daughter is now disfigured, Don Corleone will see to it that these boys will be permanently disfigured too... but they will live.

-----

So as you can see, right from the very first scene the characters are portrayed in a positive light. The film does not go overboard though and act like these guys are saints ... to do so would discredit the storyteller. Instead the counterpoint is presented in muted fashion. We don't ever see Don Corleone and Luca Brasi hold a gun to the poor band leader's head, we hear about it second-hand from Michael. We don't see anyone break into Jack Woltz's mansion and put a severed horse head in his bed, it just ... happens (and Woltz is presented as a pedophile too). What this does is it presents all sides of the story in an honest way, but it emphasizes the good parts of the main characters and minimizes the bad parts. That is effective storytelling.

When Don Corleone gets shot and incapacitated for most of the rest of the film, his son Michael becomes the new center of attention. He was already presented as a war hero and good guy. Now he's just trying to look after his father, like anyone else would do. He shoots two men dead in cold blood right in the middle of the film, but they were the bad guys. Everyone he kills or has killed in the film was a bad guy.

Just some things to consider.

Last edited:
You make good points, I guess I just lost sympathy and like-ability with the Corleones after the 'horse incident', thinking what they did was wrong, and the movie producer has the right to choose who he wants, especially turning down an actor who cost a studio a lot of money without seeming to care.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. :)

What're your thoughts on plot-oriented films, as opposed to character-oriented ones? A couple of good examples would be "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Enter the Dragon".

I generally prefer character-oriented films, but plot-oriented films are also a lot of fun to watch (my favorites are film noirs!). I would argue that 2001: A Space Odyssey is neither plot-oriented or character-oriented but rather idea-oriented, because it isn't necessarily the plot itself that is of greatest interest but the implications of everything that happens in the film both plot-wise and communicated the mix of visuals and sound. What I mean is that the film isn't plot-oriented in the way that a genre film generally is, a good example would be contrasting it to the Star Wars films which are generally plot driven (except I'd say that The Empire Strikes Back is a mix of both, that's why it's the most brilliant!).

Back