• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Reboot to the Prologue to my film

I think anyone who saw the old one will see the improvements.

http://vimeo.com/41160061 PW is mdmpllc

I reworked the interior of the Strike Master built by Angela Bruno's creator Dr. Robert Bruno to have more Earth-like technology, since the ship that escaped from Earth was built on Earth.

I have the Delta Four Space Station and later the AI Stealth Spaceship Andromeda looking more alien and high tech because Delta Four is another world more advanced than Earth with a completely different history most noticeably because women evolved to be physically superior to their men. Their culture and traditions will be completely different to a male dominated society.

Why do it that way? Colonel Roberta Azzurra asked Artemis about that. Artemis replied, "Variety makes the universe more interesting; don't you think?"

That will also lead to more original stories from new POVs.

Back to the mechanics of post.

The DP loved to carry the camera on his shoulder more often than using a tripod.

I made it work in this clip because both the spaceship and space station are in motion in space and added turbulence movement in post to the surroundings to be similar to a large boat.

I play with several versions. This seems to be the best I can come up with for the best mixture of foreground and background turbulence.

Should I add sound effects like quake sounds to the turbulence, or just leave it as is?

The shot at 1m is the most convincing (although still some green fringing on the actors and no contact shadows on the ground) in its motion between actors and background.

When you setup your green screen, did you place any tracking markers at all to be able to track the shot so you can place the background? If not, you can probably fake it by tracking anything in the shot that is static, and applying some math to reverse and amplify the movement of the background to fake some parallax.

We didn't use markers when we shot.

I am working on washing out the green highlights from the greenscreen room shoot. My new DP pointed out the old DP did not use any rear lighting, which is creating some of the trouble with the green. Everything was done with lighting from the front.

Yeah, typically, you want to throw a hint of magenta, red or CTO as a rim light to get a chroma separation from the screen... sorry you now have to deal with the footage. There are some good compositing tutorials out there on how to make separate core, hair and edge mattes to treat them differently from one another to save as much of the edge detail as possible... google and youtube like mad cakes for that stuff - it's magical!

If there are anything like clamps holding the green screen, or things off the edge of the green screen that you can track, those can be used as well. The tracker really just needs a fixed point in space to calculate what the camera is doing... anything with a sharp corner and a bit of contrast should do fine.

That was shot in a greenscreen studio where everything was in green on the stage.

I think I came up with a way to wash out the green. I used a combination of tools from color correction to color fixer tools.

Right now, my vimeo limit for the week is maxed. And, we are shooting this week. I'll upload a newer version when time permits.

For the shadow problem, I used the Sony light rays Fx to cast shadows on the actors for the full body shots.

You'll see when I get a chance to upload it.

Last edited:
Contact shadows occur at the feet, and give a feeling of actual contact with the ground (like ambient occlusion in CGI). Typically, you can take a copy of the foreground footage and turn it black, skew it to match the ground plane and blur it a bit (if you can find a way to apply the blur using a gradient, more blur farther away from the feet (top of the foreground plate) will add a touch more realism to it as well.

Thank you Knightly for those great tips that are right on the money.

This is the best solution for my next revision after this one:

http://youtu.be/ICa2Dfu71As

This may be on YT. But, I used the unlisted link option. So, only people with this link can view it.

I removed several points of movement to smoothen the movement in two shots.

I think you can see how reducing the green with color corrector help take the green highlighting out of the hair of the actresses.

I used the New Blue Color FixIt tool to give the actor's lighting more of a fit look for the environment they are in. There is a very handy eye dropper tool that should be placed on the lighting of the background to sync up the lighting with the actors.

Thanks for the tips.

When the rockets are flying at the beginning (Earth 2062), I think it'd look pretty cool if you put a background to it (stars or something) instead of pure black! Just my opinion!

The explosion/disembodied flames that follow the rocket ship that leaves Earth near the beginning throws me. At first, I justify it as an explosion on the planet's surface, then it moves off the planet, so it must be something to do with the ship, then it goes away. It feels off each time I see the trailer.

gelder

Dejager, I was thinking nuclear winter where the sky would go black from all of the nuclear clouds.

Steve, that's very doable. I was thinking in terms of a dramatic escape from Earth from all of the bombs and missiles going off. But, I can shorten that effect.

The girls told me they thought it was best that they all looked very sad, seeing what the humans did to themselves on Earth in that scene in the ship. Because later in the film, they are blaming themselves for not doing enough to stop the humans from killing each other on Earth.

Guilt is something they developed from exploring their range of self consciousness. This falls in line for IC3 - The Singularity when we explore Marvin Minsky's believe that once we discover how human consciousness works, the magic will go away and we will be able to create it artificially.

Last edited:
That bit at 1m is so much better with the color correction!

Some of the tighter shots, you could use the spikes on the chokers to track to get the background to move with the foreground a bit more realistically as the ladies don't move much in those shots other than their heads and eyes. The screen itself was alot better :) This will be fun to go back and look at the original post and compare it to the final once you get there.

Back