Trek to Las Vegas IndieMeet adventure

Hope i explain this well enough to be understood. Words sometimes get in my way (darn amateur screen-hack and dumb film-maker that i am). Sorry about length too.

Thinking about doing the trek from Ohio to Las Vegas (and back) for the annual IndieMeet (wanted to do this for a long time). So much to learn from the many creative people that attend there yearly. Want to meet those that write on IndieTalk as well. i read many of the threads. Think it would be cool to attach faces to those words...

AT the same time, also thinking about creating a 'feature' (sort of a twisted road-trip) of the journey there and back -- while doing interior scenes (close-ups and green screen re-shoots) when back in Ohio (so there would be a MAJOR commitment needed from those that do the trek)... there is a 'rough' script DEAD SUN RISING -- but would rely heavily on improv and the creativity (while on the trip) by those making the trek (also locations and weather). This would be heavy-duty, creative, guerilla filming.

Spent 5 hours with Ernest Worthing (and wife) over several beers and wine, kicking around ideas and opening doors on April 26, (lot of fun too). His comments were positive and enlightening --- thus this thread.

The trek would have to start several days in advance of the 15th and take extra days back, (to complete exterior footage needed). Would also have to shoot most of the interior scenes after returning from Las Vegas. So there is a needed commitment from all those involved. It IS a challenge to finish the entire project in a total of 40 days (or less).

Would also have to have the advanced blessings of the hosts IN Las Vegas and all guests (esp. Scoopicman and film making family). This is their meet. i would never, ever, want - in any way, shape or fashion -- to intrude upon their plans and hospitality. All would have a strong say on project and everything would be shared equally (profit and expenses -- based upon provided activity -- i am not into this to make money -- unless everyone makes a share). The final result (DVD-R) would be a true community experience. At best, wow (who can say) at worst -- we have a DVD-R copy in hand and memories (hopefully good ones)... Live and learn.

Of course this might not work or even (for that matter) be feasible. Which is why i am starting this thread, (the i is a small cased i). i could use the creative minds of those on IndieTalk to expand the 'DEAD SUN RISING' possibility. i have learned many times -- that what ever can go wrong -- CAN and WILL. Pre plan as much as possible and think outside the box. Hahahaha. Hope for the best result. I know that this is NOT an original idea, others have tread 'this idea' before me, (Scoopicman has written me that some have kicked this idea around before, but never completed).

The rough script/outline (first 1/3 of pages only) is available for read. Be forewarned, it is a 'rough-polish' 30 pages, cause i think it is vital to have those saying the words, shooting the scenes and developing the over all story to have their creative say. This is not an 'ego' thing, this is a creative 'make-something'.

Okay. i am not a know it all, so i will shut up and listen and learn from those that have ideas, comments and suggestions. Granted, this would be one heck of a pilgrimage for all who make the trek and participate (if it happens). Might be a lot of fun. Learn mountains too, (at least i hope to).

No promises in concrete on my part, but my wife and kid would love to kick me out the door for a few weeks in June. Laughing out loud. Not getting any younger ether...:lol:

Scoopicman,

Ernest cannot do the trip, he has a pre planned Florida trip that ends hours before we planned to leave. He can tell more if needed, he did mention, he is aiming at next year.

I would love to make the trip. BUT.

1) Cannot find the 'right' actors to go, most actors work and cannot take the 9 days+ off for the proposed trip.
2) I have been pulled into a major project, that actors want to start the second week of June. While I have contributed to this idea, the concept is not my own, so this project must be kept under wraps until Mid-July. If we start it as planned, I will be happy to share footage and promote concept to all on IndieTalk in Mid-July. This idea, if it works, could make money and help many in film making revenue and their film making career goals.
3) My son graduates from High School next week (he is off to OU as a Physics/Astro Physics major). We are pleased. I have a house full of family coming in and friends, they will not be leaving quickly. That is okay. I dig my family and friends.
4) Have two new, hopefully more successful, Kickstarter projects to go up in Mid-August. These are well thought out projects with much lower budgets that have a ready market. We shall see.
5) Doing a few small projects at MIDWEST HAUNTERS June 9-10. With quick turnarounds...

These are not excuses or alibis. I really want to make the trip west. BUT I do have a full plate... with plan D, E and F in the wings.

By the way, I did finish the script/outline for DEAD SUN RISING. Really think the script will work well, but I would love to shoot on a new/larger format like the Sony NEX-FS700 Super 35, (then my old Sony DVcam cameras). More of an end market for more recent tech image and audio. If you want I can send you the script on PDF to read. It's a fun read. Needs some polish (that I wanted to do on the road while driving with main actors). AND. It demands a lot of interior scenes to be shot at a later date.

I hate to say this. I do not do it very often, (except when talking about the Cleveland Browns -- I am a NFL nut case). Looking like next year. Came up with this DEAD SUN RISING idea a tad late for too many.

If you know of 3 from the Ohio area that want to make the trip and help in gas/expense... let me know, my plans can always be modified.

Scoopicman,

Ernest cannot do the trip, he has a pre planned Florida trip that ends hours before we planned to leave. He can tell more if needed, he did mention, he is aiming at next year.

:yes:

It's what i mentioned to Don when we met and i said i would try and figure out a way i could still do since i loved his idea but it just isnt working out with my schedule.

I would love if you guys did something this year but incase it doesnt happen, it would leave time for this to develop further and people to commit to it in advance for next year. People like me :)

Back