Trek to Las Vegas IndieMeet adventure

Hope i explain this well enough to be understood. Words sometimes get in my way (darn amateur screen-hack and dumb film-maker that i am). Sorry about length too.

Thinking about doing the trek from Ohio to Las Vegas (and back) for the annual IndieMeet (wanted to do this for a long time). So much to learn from the many creative people that attend there yearly. Want to meet those that write on IndieTalk as well. i read many of the threads. Think it would be cool to attach faces to those words...

AT the same time, also thinking about creating a 'feature' (sort of a twisted road-trip) of the journey there and back -- while doing interior scenes (close-ups and green screen re-shoots) when back in Ohio (so there would be a MAJOR commitment needed from those that do the trek)... there is a 'rough' script DEAD SUN RISING -- but would rely heavily on improv and the creativity (while on the trip) by those making the trek (also locations and weather). This would be heavy-duty, creative, guerilla filming.

Spent 5 hours with Ernest Worthing (and wife) over several beers and wine, kicking around ideas and opening doors on April 26, (lot of fun too). His comments were positive and enlightening --- thus this thread.

The trek would have to start several days in advance of the 15th and take extra days back, (to complete exterior footage needed). Would also have to shoot most of the interior scenes after returning from Las Vegas. So there is a needed commitment from all those involved. It IS a challenge to finish the entire project in a total of 40 days (or less).

Would also have to have the advanced blessings of the hosts IN Las Vegas and all guests (esp. Scoopicman and film making family). This is their meet. i would never, ever, want - in any way, shape or fashion -- to intrude upon their plans and hospitality. All would have a strong say on project and everything would be shared equally (profit and expenses -- based upon provided activity -- i am not into this to make money -- unless everyone makes a share). The final result (DVD-R) would be a true community experience. At best, wow (who can say) at worst -- we have a DVD-R copy in hand and memories (hopefully good ones)... Live and learn.

Of course this might not work or even (for that matter) be feasible. Which is why i am starting this thread, (the i is a small cased i). i could use the creative minds of those on IndieTalk to expand the 'DEAD SUN RISING' possibility. i have learned many times -- that what ever can go wrong -- CAN and WILL. Pre plan as much as possible and think outside the box. Hahahaha. Hope for the best result. I know that this is NOT an original idea, others have tread 'this idea' before me, (Scoopicman has written me that some have kicked this idea around before, but never completed).

The rough script/outline (first 1/3 of pages only) is available for read. Be forewarned, it is a 'rough-polish' 30 pages, cause i think it is vital to have those saying the words, shooting the scenes and developing the over all story to have their creative say. This is not an 'ego' thing, this is a creative 'make-something'.

Okay. i am not a know it all, so i will shut up and listen and learn from those that have ideas, comments and suggestions. Granted, this would be one heck of a pilgrimage for all who make the trek and participate (if it happens). Might be a lot of fun. Learn mountains too, (at least i hope to).

No promises in concrete on my part, but my wife and kid would love to kick me out the door for a few weeks in June. Laughing out loud. Not getting any younger ether...:lol:

That's a pretty ambitous idea, Don. It would be cool if you got actors to commit to that trip.

Would also have to have the advanced blessings of the hosts IN Las Vegas and all guests (esp. Scoopicman and film making family). This is their meet. i would never, ever, want - in any way, shape or fashion -- to intrude upon their plans and hospitality.

How would it be an intrusion?

This project sounded great. I would do it just for the fun of it and if time permits, i will try and be a part of it. Would be even cooler if we could fill the car with IndieTalkers.

On another note, i was really glad i received Don's invitation and could spend some time with him over drinks. He is really humble on IT and in person when the truth is he is a multi-talented individual who can play music, paint art, direct/act/produce/write films and much more. He's had professional success in all those areas and has a wealth of experience to share. I asked him to post/comment more on IT and not downplay himself so much :)

But even better than that, he's a lot of fun to drink with! A quality i value.

Ernest,

Hope we can get the car filled (or do two cars). Keep looking for someone special to fill the part of Ricky, Noelle cannot do it due to her work schedule (and pet raccoon). I have talked to about 20 + actors that want to do the trek, but all work and have their feet (obligations) in concrete. But every actor wants to do the interior scenes when we get back. Every single actor!

It was you and your wife that were great, me, ehhh (must of got me on a 'good' day), actually more of an ogre who has been very lucky to surround himself with extremely talented people and artists.

There are so many talented people out there.

Why I would love to get this project up and going to Las Vegas. It might just work...

so, IndieTalkers? Anyone in Ohio that want to go to Las Vegas for the Meet (and make a movie in the process)? Script is waiting to be read... Scoopicman says "yeah"... (although Scoopicman doesn't know that in the script Ricky, kills everyone there in Las Vegas with common household products).

Question: What is a cool way to kill someone with a common everyday house hold product? Be creative! LOL. This is a fictional movie not a documentary and we must not harm one single living creature or make a mess...

Question: What is a cool way to kill someone with a common everyday house hold product? Be creative! LOL. This is a fictional movie not a documentary and we must not harm one single living creature or make a mess...
Law enforcement is very good at finding blood.
I advise the method of demise hinge on whether the police do or do not find blood as confirmation of foul play.

Cause of death could be anything from blunt force trauma, strangulation, drowning, or stabbing.

Pretty much name anything in a house and I could kill you... er.. the victim with it.
I'll just push the victim's dumb@ss down the stairs or suffocate them with the shower curtain.
Electrical cords.
Iron skillet.
Towel.
Telephone.
Ball point pen or pencil.

The intended vic's best survival bet is to just keep moving. If the vic stops for a moment I'll get him.
I don't come to knife fights with "a" knife.
I could set the house on fire at 3am and just snipe the vic's dumb@ss in his jammies in the front yard.

A good old vehicular homocide works. But then there's the blood and paint chips issue.

Again - how do you want law enforcement involved?

:D

rayw,

LOL, law enforcement IS NOT involved. No cops are in the scripted scenes because 'story' (with main characters) moves away from (Scoopicman's) house before bodies are discovered... If we are allowed, have the time and can do the scenes, (would also like to include actual get together scenes as well).

The 'raw (not you rayw without the why) script' - (not a spoiler) has one of the actors in the entourage trek, the 'Ricky' character, a sexy want-to-be-actress making the trek, (that also happens to be a psychopath) kill the film-makers gathered in Las Vegas for the Las Vegas IndieTalk 'meet'... we do not want to make a mess at Scoopicman's place, nor take a lot of time to shoot those scenes... thought it would be really cool to let those 'victims' present for the film-maker's get together (as it is in the script) -- to creatively design their own demise (e.g. actually take a large part in the cinematography and directing their own death scene)... Because I would like to learn from those there (expand knowledge) and at the same time enhance story and entertaining factor on final DVD (tentatively titled DEAD SUN RISING) if possible.

Stupid me, I have never tried something like this before (1/3 script, 1/3 improv and 1/3 outline). But would like to incorporate the ideas of the many that will be at the Las Vegas meet... and make something that everyone who is apart of, will have fun with, by being in the story (creating ideas, content and production) and having it in their hand (as a finished product).

It would be cool to even have those that want to -- edit portions differently (and include all scenes on the DVD -- even if we do DVD-9 -- dual layer discs). Share it on IndieTalk for the months after.

This is NOT an ego thing. This is making something from nothing. Stir that creative pot o' stew. There are a lot of people that will be at this meet... I read your threads, watch your work on VIMEO and YouTube -- would like to capture and share your ideas, creativity and learn.

I do not travel 2000 miles west very often. Want to make the most of it while there, but do not want to hog anyone's time. Your major input would be very appreciated and extremely cool! Let's make something!

Here's another idea/option for you that just popped into my head. If you get ppl to commit, how abt picking them up on the way to Vegas instead of 4 ppl starting out in Ohio. 2 ppl start out here, pick someone up in 700 miles later, pick another person up 1400 miles later. That way the script outline hits certain interesting points along as we look forward to the next unknown character joining the ride.

Just throwing it out there.

Ernest,

Have no problem with that -- other than having to shoot interior scenes later, after the trek west (to be edited into original chronological order of story). There are a lot of interior scenes to be shot later.

Would have to drive and/or main actor(s) would have to drive to do those scenes. So distance could be a factor.

I am totally open, nothing written in concrete. It is just easier to have everything centrally located for shooting interior scenes with main cast.

I like your idea "picking them up on the way to Vegas" (as was Thelma & Louise). Just need to figure a way to make it work while keeping it simple and straight forward... Trying to avoid making story confusing or to complicated in shooting interior scenes later.

Send you entire script in PDF okay?

Have no problem with that -- other than having to shoot interior scenes later, after the trek west (to be edited into original chronological order of story). There are a lot of interior scenes to be shot later.

Would have to drive and/or main actor(s) would have to drive to do those scenes. So distance could be a factor.

You're right. Slipped my mind. It was a sudden thought i just typed out.

Ill PM you my email address and you can mail the script there.

Don -
Fair enough.
And a female's name would probably be spelled Ricki with an "i" rather than the traditionally masculine Ricky with a "y".

Hmm... multiple murders in and about a residence via various means, no single M.O..
Hmm...
Without making a mess.

In the wee pre-dawn hours she could hook up several length's of aluminum dryer vent hose with zip ties from a vehicle's exhaust to the residence's interior.
Exterminate the whole IndieMeet lot at once with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Red makeup on all the faces of the dead might be fun. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, guys. Hope it works out.

I like Ernest's idea of picking roadtrippers up along the way. Remember, thanks to the magic of movies, just because you're picking a member up "in" Kansas, doesn't mean you have to actually go to a location in Kansas. You could be like, okay, here we are in Kansas picking Ernest up. And hopefully you could find stock footage of Kansas later to add an establishing shot or two etc.

I vote for the Psycho shower scene in which scoopicman (sorry, scoopicman) is slashed to death by Ricki, à la Psycho of course.

Just brainstorming...

Maybe Don should play Ricki. Maybe Don should play both Don and Ricki...sort of à la Silence of the Lambs, in keeping with the psycho killer theme you've chosen, Don.

Maybe Ricki "is" a hot young thing and active member of the forum with an avatar picturing an attractive young woman, perhaps an earlier victim of Don's (who is know Don/Ricki because he has the split personality thing), or she's just a random (or othewise meaningful) invention of Don's. When other Indietalkers meet Ricki, they're like, oh, you're...not quite what I expected. But of course they politely try to hide their reactions.

Another idea that popped into my head was what if one of the roadtrippers disappears during the roadtrip. Just for oddness or something. Not sure where to go with that, because my sense is it wouldn't have to be due to being Ricki's victim. Maybe there's just a note saying, "Hey, gang, I ran into an old girlfriend and I'm going to hang with her for a day. But I'll meet up with you all in Las Vegas. Promise" But when they get to Las Vegas maybe there's another mysterious note saying... what?

Sorry.

Anyway. Hope whatever you do works out and you have a lot of rewarding fun doing it. =)

Last edited:
Maybe Don should play both Don and Ricki.

Maybe Ricki "is" a hot young thing and active member of the forum with an avatar picturing an attractive young woman... When other Indietalkers meet Ricki, they're like, oh, you're...not quite what I expected.
Ricki the tranny in training.

Now, I suppose the GLBT community will be all up in arms over YET ANOTHER disparraging portrayal of a segment of their community.
So, to turn the cliché on it's ear have Ricki be Don's stable alter ego and it's really when Don's in his generally accepted character that he's psycho.

The b!tch of the plot is that while everyone initially is "uncomfortable" with Ricki, despite her being a pretty good gal (WTF, people?!), as they become relaxed around Don - THAT'S when he's the most freaking dangerous.

As the journey progresses the attitudes reverse: everyone becomes more comfortable with Ricki and alienated by the increasingly bizarre Don.
Don's jealousy of his new friends accepting Ricki, his good side, is what sends him over the edge killing everyone - or attempting to.

Consider a difficult role as Ricki attempts to wrestle control from Don and sucessfuly convinces him to stop mid-murder of everyone.

The irony is what we want is dangerous, what we think we don't want is actually what's better for everyone.

Massive area for character arc through personal growth and development.

A fetishist love triangle betrayal and misunderstanding with Don/Ricki could go tragically wrong.

Introduce tragedy by having shortly after Ricki finally overcomes Don is when "the authorities" put an end to all that she/he has achieved.
All that has been gained is lost at the hands of those who don't understand.

Execution-wise, the transformation doesn't need to involve anything more than a wig and maybe a blouse. No real need for a full woman's makeup application.

Last edited:
love the idea! I worry that your story is not enough about the road to bother with the complexities of shooting on the road.. if you know what I mean?

With Gas prices, would flying be cheaper?

Having just visited Scoopicman and family, I can attest to their hospitality and talent. Mrs. Scoopicman is a fine actress so be sure to include her in your plans. Of course Mr. Scoopicman is a fine actor himself...

Awesome comments above! I think you all would be shocked reading the script as it is. A total twisted story not like anything from the above suggestions (I too like to play with people's heads while being TRUE to story and character arcs). Not sure I want to put entire script out there -- want to give DVD copies to all involved and get that... WTF(?) within the story, (like in my other scripts). You know that... "what happens next(?)" while watching.

I love the dryer vent tubing hooked up to a car exhaust... fantastic idea! Sick and brilliant!

And yes, picking up cast along the way is a possibility (if we can fill two cars)... there are some story complications in doing such. But as it stands right now, can't get 3 actors to go due to time of year and amount of time. Still trying to pull this off. Not giving up easily.

Changed Ricky to Ricki -- but I did like the gender bender with a y... Ricki needs to be sexy and wild, while looking feminine and vulnerable... "Don cannot pull off the sex change (DRESSED TO KILL) concept. Don is NOT that good of an actor to begin and at 6'5"-- 240 lbs... hahaha" says Don.

Keep the comments coming. Also if anyone has an interest in going to Las Vegas, (while attempting this out-of-the-box idea), let me know!

Having just visited Scoopicman and family, I can attest to their hospitality and talent. Mrs. Scoopicman is a fine actress so be sure to include her in your plans. Of course Mr. Scoopicman is a fine actor himself... Wheatgrinder

Absolutely... I have watched several of Scoopicman's movies! I expect to learn quite a bit on film-making and acting from association and networking!

Back