Youtube vs Vimeo for posting short films?

Before coming to this forum, I had only been visited Vimeo a couple of times. Since joining, I have probably been on three dozen times because so many people post their short films on the site. I am just wondering why this is. The site gets much less traffic than YouTube, and you cannot make money off of Vimeo, so why do so many people upload their video there. Is it because of the video play, which IMO seems much better on Vimeo? Is it because it's a site more dedicated to creative versus revenue so people feel more at home there coming from the indie scene? Or is there something I am missing entirely?

The image quality is better on Vimeo. YouTube makes it easier to get lost in the noise of all the random videos of whatever. Vimeo seems to be more for professionals and filmmakers specifically.

I use both, extensively. YouTube garners exponentially more views and random finds, but Vimeo is classier.

The downside to Vimeo, aside from the lack of views, is that some people cannot view their videos smoothly, whereas YouTube is so universal, anyone anywhere can see the videos on that site.

Yup, Vimeo is way nicer quality but the audience/revenue potential isn't there.

We post on YouTube first and get our first boom of views, then a few weeks later on Vimeo to maintain a presence there.

One thing I really like about Vimeo is using it to get a video to someone else! I put a 200 meg+ short to give to someone and made it downloadable for him. I also received scenes that I had to score music to, that way.

As for wanting my stuff viewed, YouTube has the traffic. They're both worth having an account at.

I tried both then decided to use YouTube because they allow a larger file size and the potential for traffic is greater. Also, I think YouTubes playback is smoother meaning when you hit play on youtube it starts playing faster then it does on Vimeo.

Back