Best Documentary of All Time

Oh, and if you want to talk about a documentary that packs a mighty punch, try "Dear Zachary". You can read the synopsis, and what you'll read is basically an accurate description. However, it's not until the last few minutes of the movie when you realize what THE ENTIRE FILM has actually been about, and it's simply beautiful. It's a love-letter, for sure.
I recommend against this movie actually, unless you enjoy feeling helpless, hopeless rage. And depression.

Another vote for ANYTHING by Herzog. Personal favorite was "Bells of the Deep", though that's a documentary in the Disney sense...he made it up. Herzog is brilliant if you appreciate blurring the line between fact and fiction. His features are more real than most, and his documentaries are more fictionalized than most. Once you get that, everything makes perfect, brilliant sense.

I watch a lot of music documentaries, generally better if you are interested in the subject, but of particular interest was "The Fearless Freaks" about the Flaming Lips (who I haven't really liked since Zaireeka). I also really enjoyed "Until The Light Takes Us" about the Norwegian black metal scene. Again, not crazy about the music, but an interesting culture and the film did a good job of having people in and out of the scene talk about it, sharing their often contradictory thoughts.

Back