reinventing bolex!?

REINVENTING BOLEX!?

Dear forum reader. I have a set of questions for you Bolex experts out there who have tried it all...

I have recently got myself a rx-5 with MST motor and Switar POE 16-100, beautiful camera and great images. I bought it to get a short done but I miraculously got my dirty hands on beautiful Arri SR2 so the Bolex was pushed aside. The Arri is now gone and more shorts are coming to mind so I again consider using the Bolex- but with the mag, the motor and the terrible grip solutions it's hardly a camera to consider for hand-on work that requires quick and fast operating.

I was considering changing to Eclair, ACL or NPR but I would like to avoid expenses plus I understood Eclair are generally less reliable than Bolex and I really need the frame by frame function, and, with all honesty I fell in love with Bolex and would like to give it a go.

My Questions:

1. Did anyone find a way to easily mount the Bolex on the shoulder? I keep on searching for precedents but besides those gun attachments which are pricy and ridiculous (with all do respect to pioneering journalism)I find nothing. I find it hard to believe that in 50 years or so no one thought of putting it on the shoulder.

2a. Did anyone ever did or seen a Bolex with the image split to the left of the lens making the viewfinder to the left of the torret? that way the Bolex could be sitting on the shoulder easily and will be easily manoeuvrable...

2b. I'm aware of SOM Berthiot pan cinor lenses made for Bolex that have a built-in viewfinder!? am I correct? Anyway those viewfinders are usually designed to reach all the way to the back of the Bolex- anyway to shorten it?

3. Is there any way or did someone connect a digital viewfinder/monitor to the original viewfinder. That way it'll be possible to put the viewfinder where it belongs...

I believe that mounting the Bolex on my shoulder (with a viewfinder next to the torret) it would have been the perfect camera; light, cheap, reliable, easy to use, full of lovely functions and full of dark sex appeal. I might be trying to turn an elephant into a microphone but it's worth the try...

Await your reply,

AH

Last edited:
You can buy a shoulder mount for this camera.I've have seen people who have mounted a CCD camera to the back of the viewfinder and attached follow focus rods and control.It's as good as an Arri
and the Lens is really sharp especially the 14.5-115 zoom.

Back