• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Fragments: The Contents Of A Box

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hc4XWxfHdk

I did this last week for a literary journal contest. Completely one-man band. Prize is $400! Hope I win.

SPECIFICS AND PARTICULARS:
Camera: Canon Vixia HFS100
Light: Home Depot aluminum cone thing with the clamp, 75w bulb
Sound: Zoom H4n with a side-address condenser microphone
NLE: Sony Vegas Pro
Guitar: Tuned DADDAD, six overdubs

NOTES:
The slo-mo was done by shooting at 60i and placing the footage in a 24p timeline, reducing speed to 40%. I'd never shot this way before and I think I'm going to exclusively for the next several months until I make myself sick of it. So smooth!!

The closeup shots of the feet were done with the camera on a tripod and the tripod legs together and the whole thing held upside down inches from the ground. Image then reversed in the NLE. Raynox wide angle lens adapter paramount for getting enough feet in the frame.

Focus was a little soft on the macro lens footage at the end. Macro lens adapter one half of a very cheap wide angle lens adapter (NOT the Raynox).

Enjoy!

Pretty cool, UC/JJ.

On that Canon Vixia HFS100 do you like working that little Custom dial to adjust exposure, focus, assist functions, mic level, or AGC?

Getting focus tight is darn near impossible using those [expletive] little ~3" screens.
I'm having to resort to running "crisp focus" tests then documenting precise measurements down to centimeters, and milimeters for macro, because what the camera's fixed focus distance is labeled vs. where the sweet spot @ f1.8 @ 10x actually is are not the same.
I keep it in a little notebook in my camera bag.

I leave that custom dial set to exposure, and activating is how I remember to lock the exposure. I thought I'd be using it for focus, but I never use it for anything but exposure. Hit that button and the exposure is locked to wherever you set it.

What do you use yours for?

Focus is a bitch at the macro level! I like your idea. I wanted that creeping and and out of the plane but my plane was a few millimeters into the table.

Thanks for taking a look!

Oh, I don't have that camera.
I'm using a poopy little Sanyo Xacti HD1010: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...D1010BK_Xacti_VPC_HD1010_High_Definition.html
Same optical zoom, and nearly the same chip size as yours (1/2.5" vs. 1/2.6") but your's captures waaaay more megapixels than mine (8.59 Megapixel vs. 4 Megapixel.)

My interest is in relatively inexpensive cameras with a manual focus RING option, typically a full ring around the lens, rather than a manual focus MENU option.
Autofucus is fine for great distances, but a disater for anything of quality in under 40yards.

... but my plane was a few millimeters into the table.
Yup. WhataPITA. :lol:

Last edited:
Alternate title: Badass Mofo in Boots with a Box ;)

Nice little treat, Joe! Glad you still have your boots in the game. :) Always a fan of your poetry mixed with lyrical shots, and this short was no exception. Hope you take the 400 bucks!

Isn't that slo-mo trick fun? I had to do some messing around as well and discovered the same settings.

There is no manual for where to keep teeth after the tooth fairy has taken them, so into the bedside box they go! But what a macabre thing to keep, right?

Thanks for watching, friends.

Back