Academy Award Consideration - Rules Question

Hello Indie Filmmakers

We will qualify for an academy award next month for our short documentary through a theatrical release in Los Angeles. We qualified last year on another film so know all the written rules and regulations. My question is about an "unwritten" rule or circumstance that might jeopardize our chances of getting a nomination.

After the theatrical release we would like to release the film online, for free, to the general public since the film is about a current, timely humanitarian issue.

Does anyone know if by being online for free would jeopardize our chances for the 85th Awards? What about just being online as a pay to download film, does that jeopardize things in the eyes of the voters?

Thanks for your help!

I was under the impression that for the short film categories (live action, animated and doc) qualification was through Academy qualifying festivals, not any sort of theatrical run (whatever the heck that is for a short documentary).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I was under.

PS: It's always fun to bite people's heads off and I think Burnsy had that one coming :D

Does anyone know if by being online for free would jeopardize our chances for the 85th Awards? What about just being online as a pay to download film, does that jeopardize things in the eyes of the voters?

Unofficially; yes, it might jeopardize things in the eyes of the voters.

Back