Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Editing

6/20 Update: We will launch the new site later today!

Old 03-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #1
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Video editing software that imports Pro Res

Just bought this Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate. Can't import Pro Res 422 files. It just crashes.
Are there any that support Pro Res besides the expensive programs like Final Cut?
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-01-2019, 01:45 AM   #2
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Resolve? It's free.
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #3
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_rox View Post
Resolve? It's free.
Checking it out right now. I'll put it to the test and see if it can handle all of my videoblocks.com and pixabay.com 1080p videos. Beyond that I don't need anything fancy. If I need fancy I do it in After Effects.

It's handling my Pro Res files, but other files it cannot import. For example PNG video files with an MPEG-4 container it cannot open. I have less of these so maybe I can just live with having to convert these in After Effects to a usable format.

I like the way the program quickly imports files. For some reason the way Pinnacle Studio is designed, there's the wait time for files to get imported.

Last edited by Blade_Jones; 03-01-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
caiofilm
Basic Member

Go to caiofilm.com and check out all of the different free and open-source software on the $0 Budget Software webpage. There are at least 3 different NLEs that can open ProRes.

Disclosing that it is my website that has the list of open-source or free software relevant to filmmakers. Cheers!
caiofilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiofilm View Post
Go to caiofilm.com and check out all of the different free and open-source software on the $0 Budget Software webpage. There are at least 3 different NLEs that can open ProRes.

Disclosing that it is my website that has the list of open-source or free software relevant to filmmakers. Cheers!
Looks like you like DaVinci Resolve the best. You said that it's strictly an editing program. Do you mean that it doesn't do After Effects type stuff, fancy audio editing, etc? I use Nuendo for audio and After Effects for motion graphics so that would work well for me.

Last edited by Blade_Jones; 03-01-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
caiofilm
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Jones View Post
Looks like you like DaVinci Resolve the best. You said that it's strictly an editing program. Do you mean that it doesn't do After Effects type stuff, fancy audio editing, etc? I use Nuendo for audio and After Effects for motion graphics so that would work well for me.
I guess I don't understand your situation.

I didn't say that it's only for editing. I said, "Where else can you ingest, edit, create VFX, color grade, mix audio, and deliver all in one application?"

All the other programs I listed after Resolve in the Editing NLE section were examples if you only needed an editing NLE app. If you know how to use After Effects, then I figure you could use any of the software listed.

Thanks for pointing that out. I edited it to clarify what I actually mean is that if all I needed was a video editor without all the other bells and whistles.

I guess I would try Shotcut since their claim to fame is being able to work with any codec. Let us know how that works out.

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
caiofilm
Basic Member

Also, why don't you just use Adobe Premiere if you're already using After Effects? I edited all my ProRes and DNxHD/HR in Premiere just fine.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Premiere would also make your AE round-trips easier. But it isn't free, unless you already have it as part of an Adobe bundle you're paying for.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Wow this DaVinci is unstable as hell. It keeps closing out the program when doing something simple like clicking a button. I think I'm going to switch to editing my short on my old 14 year old Final Cut Pro / MAC system. I will have to convert a bunch of clips that it can't open but at least it should be stable. Or heck... maybe I'll just continue to put it all together with After Effects on my PC. Rendering is slow but at least it doesn't crash. I could render low quality clips just to edit with, then later replace them (with the high quality clips) for the final rending.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #10
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

You do need to have a decent system to run davinci. You can also use it to transcode prores files to something easier for you to mange.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_rox View Post
You do need to have a decent system to run davinci. You can also use it to transcode prores files to something easier for you to mange.
Intel Core i7 3.19 Ghz
8 GB RAM
I think it's just buggy.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You need 16 GB RAM.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #13
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
You need 16 GB RAM.
I don't think the crashing is because of lack of RAM. It doesn't crash during playback. The last time it crashed I was simply clicking from the color page to the edit page.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #14
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Yes it is the RAM. It will crash on 8GB.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:38 AM   #15
Runlevel Two
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Jones View Post
Wow this DaVinci is unstable as hell. It keeps closing out the program when doing something simple like clicking a button. I think I'm going to switch to editing my short on my old 14 year old Final Cut Pro / MAC system. I will have to convert a bunch of clips that it can't open but at least it should be stable. Or heck... maybe I'll just continue to put it all together with After Effects on my PC. Rendering is slow but at least it doesn't crash. I could render low quality clips just to edit with, then later replace them (with the high quality clips) for the final rending.
Before you switch to your 14 year old Final Cut Pro / MAC system, try Blender. It is open source, is stable (here), has a built in video editor (VSE) and it accepts Prores 422 files.
Runlevel Two is offline   Reply With Quote