Q's about WithoutABox

Hey guys,
Curious...I just started submitting to film festivals via without a box and I'm curious on a couple of things that my research didn't turn up.

If a festival has a "Notify Date" does that mean they notify you BY that date or does it mean ON that date?
I'm asking because I'm curious if you typically hear back earlier than that date...especially if you submit very early in the submission process.

Is it frowned upon not to be at screenings of your film? I've submitted to a bunch of festivals...knowing there's no way I could make it to every screening if I were accepted just do to travel costs. Is that frowned upon? I ask because I saw this under one of the festivals:
"FILMMAKER ATTENDANCE

Should your film become an Official Selection, we want you at the festival. Please confer with the BendFilm office should travel or accommodations be an expense you can't shoulder. It is likely we won't have any money either, but you'll find us adept in improvising travel and shelter arrangements -- and we'll do whatever we can to help get you to Bend.
"

Perhaps I should have rewritten my subject after I wrote the questions. I didn't. Don't lose sleep over it. Honestly....I'd say that I'd love to know what you're compensating for, acting like an ass in threads over a small oversight on a forum...but I really don't care.

As you pointed out...my questions aren't directly about without a box...They came up indirectly...as I'm using without a box to submit to festivals. From this point on assume I've changed the title to "Questions about Film festivals: PS I'm using withoutabox". I'm using withoutabox to submit to festivals for the first time, cut me some slack.

Last edited:
It's entirely case to case. Some festivals expect you to be there if you get chosen, so don't submit to them if you can't make that commitment. Most will likely be fine if you aren't there, since it's unrealistic to try to be in today's day and age when you can submit to things all around the world or country. I hope you didn't make any commitments by submitting to festivals like the one you quoted, if you can't attend them - that wastes your time, and your money, usually. (WAB usually has fees)

They will usually notify you ON that date - or on occasion, within the week leading up to it.

Thanks man. I didn't submit to that festival for the very reason. I just wasn't sure...because several of the festivals there don't specifically say that, but I didn't know if it was something they were going to spring on me once accepted.

Thanks man. I didn't submit to that festival for the very reason. I just wasn't sure...because several of the festivals there don't specifically say that, but I didn't know if it was something they were going to spring on me once accepted.

If they don't specifically state it, I wouldn't let it bother you. That's a standard thing to state if it is a requisite - If they didn't, half of their show would go away once people found out they couldn't physically be there.

Still, I'd try to centralize your submissions around things you may be able to attend. Quality over Quantity is a much better motto when submitting to festivals.

Perhaps I should have rewritten my subject after I wrote the questions. I didn't. Don't lose sleep over it. Honestly....I'd say that I'd love to know what you're compensating for, acting like an ass in threads over a small oversight on a forum...but I really don't care.

As you pointed out...my questions aren't directly about without a box...They came up indirectly...as I'm using without a box to submit to festivals. From this point on assume I've changed the title to "Questions about Film festivals: PS I'm using withoutabox". I'm using withoutabox to submit to festivals for the first time, cut me some slack.

Sorry if you can't handle someone pointing out obvious facts relating to your threads. I'll be sure not to go into any of yours in the future for comments.

FYI I'm not the one calling people names on the forum, you might want to turn your powers of observation inward.

Last edited:
Sorry if you can't handle someone pointing out obvious facts relating to your threads. I'll be sure not to go into any of yours in the future for comments.

FYI I'm not the one calling people names on the forum, you might want to turn your powers of observation inward.

Don't troll my thread acting holier than though and not expect me to respond If you would have offered me any insight or advice other than proving how you can call people out for their mistakes, I wouldn't have lashed back. Even if you included some advice buttoned with your lackluster jab, I'd have just played back.

You're acting like the"One upper guy". The guy who's having a conversation with someone and you just have to interject how "Actually...it's 'With Whom, not 'With who'". No one likes that guy. Don't be that guy.

PS: Interestingly enough I enjoyed your doc about beer pong when I watched it when you first posted...

PPS: Please avoid my posts in the future if you don't expect a biting tongue in response to a biting tongue.

Food for thought: What he said was accurate and legit for other readers, though not useful to you. If you expect people to cut you some slack, may I suggest it's only fair for you to do the same. Was there really a need to escalate this? On either side.

I wish you luck in your festival submissions.

I agree with Sweetie - Just let it go, both of you.

But, I do understand Bez' annoyance - SFoster, you can look past tiny discrepancies in the titling of a thread, or (in my case earlier) the introduction to a music sampler, when the article was about the music - just as this article overarched festivals - neither of your comments really benefited the threads either way. Just food for thought, it helps everyone on the forum if you look past obvious little things in a thread and instead benefit the discussion by posting a meaningful response.

Last edited:
I agree with Sweetie - Just let it go, both of you.

But, I do understand Bez' annoyance - SFoster, you can look past tiny discrepancies in the titling of a thread, or (in my case earlier) the introduction to a music sampler, when the article was about the music - just as this article overarched festivals - neither of your comments really benefited the threads either way. Just food for thought, it helps everyone on the forum if you look past obvious little things in a thread and instead benefit the discussion by posting a meaningful response.

Beatlesfan I thought that my post in your thread was beneficial, I was trying to help you win more fans. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

Beatlesfan I thought that my post in your thread was beneficial, I was trying to help you win more fans. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

I understood and appreciated your critique - I'm just saying it wasn't overly relevant to what I was trying to convey in the thread - I feel like Bez's thread could have also been answered by ignoring something like a thread title that could have perhaps been made better.

I have no interest in having a dog in this fight, I was just making an observation about the way threads are handled, that's all.

I don't have any answer for this thread, I've never submitted anything to a festival. I'm interested in keeping up with withoutabox though.

Withoutabox is the worst! I honestly think we need to boycott them and demand more accountability from festivals. Alas, it's difficult to call for or join a boycott when we're rather reliant on them at the moment.

Forget about the notify date. Seriously. Most festivals just ignore it. I find it difficult to believe that most festivals are allegedly run by filmmakers, because most festivals are straight-up assholes, when it comes to sending rejection letters. Consider yourself lucky if you get a generic rejection email. Some festivals are so lazy that they send a generic rejection letter to ALL APPLICANTS, even those whom they've admitted, saying something like, "Hey, unless you got an acceptance letter from us, we regret to inform you that blah, blah blah".

Really though, don't wait around to hear from them, it will drive you nuts. It's shocking how many fests just don't contact you at all. The worse treatment I ever got -- one particular film festival informed me of my rejection by sending me an invitation to purchase tickets to the movies that were accepted to their fest, and mine wasn't on the list.

As far as attending is concerned, it's not usually required, but I highly recommend it, for your own benefit. With a few exceptions, I wouldn't recommend submitting to any fest that you wouldn't plan on actually attending.

CF is right. They are Horrible (withoutabox), most fests are HORRIBLE. They'll notify late, they'll never notify at all. I got IN a festival and didn't know until I saw my film on their website. The festival circuit is not for the weak. It's a tough business.

Back