screenplay pitch problems

Enter all of them. Do not limit yourself to one or two.

well the problem is most of these festivals have this non-compete policy that once you submit your film into one of them you can not enter any other sort of competitions or festivals for the following year.( for the same film)

Not to rain on your parade, but EVERYONE thinks that their project, be it in the arts or business, is worthy of more attention or is even one of the best that has ever been. 99.9999% of the time they are deluding themselves. This is not a knock against you; it's just human nature. It is always useful to have several people whom you respect and who will be brutally honest to vet your project. They quite often point out that your project is not as worthy as you believe (although, very rarely, they point out that it is better than you believe), but will usually have suggestions for improving your project.

I completely understand your point, and to be honest I have contemplated this issue for a long time . but after watching many successful movies , and with the law of comparison, I think I know where I stand now. I would be more than happy to show the script to someone to read and give me their ideas. The problem is the script is originally written in English and you may find it hard to believe, but there are not many professionals in Iran who can read English! been searching for a year now, haven't found one yet. I am more than willing to give my script to anyone who has the time for it to read it and give me their comments. The only thing that I'm afraid of is that my idea gets leaked out.( I know I'm not a big shot. but still that's a risk I'm not willing to take). If there was any sort of confidentiality agreement, I would give it to anyone who desires to read it. I even take up the challenge to write a script about any concept anyone pitches me . give me 10 days and I show you the first 50 page of the script.

The hardest thing to do is be completely, honestly and brutally objective about your own projects. One of the marks of a successful person is always feeling that they could do better. As for me, it's NEVER good enough, although in a few situations I feel that it's the best I can do under the given circumstances (time/budget constraints, etc.).

Aside from your talents, it's like real estate - location, location, location. You have to be where the action is. After you have the right location it's all about who you know. Once you finally have your first success it's all about your work ethic, your objectivity and keeping your ego under control if you want to stay there.

That's EXACTLY the problem I have . LOCATION! I even started this thread because of this problem. I don't know how can I get into america when I don't have any money! people have suggested that I enter film festivals and more script competitions to make a name for myself, but everyone says even if I win the biggest prize, Hollywood is not a sure thing. so to be honest, I'm stuck!

You spent 7 years on one story?

I contemplated the idea for 6 years.( back then I wasn't serious about cinema) Once I started writing, the script got finished in 4 months.

My question for you... how well would this story translate to a book?
Because if you have a best selling book and an established audience that gives you leverage and opportunity with the business minded suits at hollywood studios.

I think it would have a good transition from a script to a book, given the vast nature of the story. But two problems: First, I live in Iran, even if I can translate the script into a novel, I can't publish the book in Iran(Due to extreme Islamic regulations and censors). second, does a published book in Iran open the doors of studios for you in Hollywood? and If you mean publish it in another country, I don't know how to do that.
besides I claim I can write scripts, writing a novel is completely another profession, it requires another set of skills to master to be able to write a good novel, Skills that I'm not familiar with.

Last edited:
Originally posted by pedramyz: The only thing that I'm afraid of is that my idea gets leaked out.( I know I'm not a big shot. but still that's a risk I'm not willing to take).

Non-disclosure agreements (known as NDA's) are quite common. It's my understanding that the Writers Guild of America (WGA) allows non-US residents to register scripts. Of course, nothing truly guarantees that someone won't steal your idea, but these are the standard mechanisms that screenwriters use to protect ourselves.

there are not many professionals in Iran who can read English! been searching for a year now, haven't found one yet. I am more than willing to give my script to anyone who has the time for it to read it and give me their comments.

There are many professionals on this site that are qualified to give your script a critique. All you have to do is ask.

The only thing that I'm afraid of is that my idea gets leaked out.

As mlesemann mentioned NDAs are quite common. BTW, mlesemann is someone qualified to vet your script(s).

well the problem is most of these festivals have this non-compete policy that once you submit your film into one of them you can not enter any other sort of competitions or festivals for the following year.( for the same film)
Not true. There are many problems and obstacles to overcome.
You path will not be; enter "the best", get an award, get a deal. It
will take years.

You can enter all of them. If three of them accept your movie THEN
you have a dilemma. That "non-compete" policy only applies when
you film is accepted. And won't that be a wonderful problem? Three
top festival want to screen your movie but you can only choose one
of them.

When that happens then ask us which one you should choose. But
you need to submit first. So submit to as many as you can.

As stated above that would be a good problem to have!

Sundance:
You have been accepted and we need the guarantee that this will be a world premiere.

You:
I'm sorry but it is premiering next week at the Basement Fest of Genericville, maybe next time!

:lol:

Non-disclosure agreements (known as NDA's) are quite common. It's my understanding that the Writers Guild of America (WGA) allows non-US residents to register scripts. Of course, nothing truly guarantees that someone won't steal your idea, but these are the standard mechanisms that screenwriters use to protect ourselves.

DO you mean the blacklist website? cause they have a writers guild of america, I emailed them ( the blacklist, not the guild) and they said Iran is sanctioned by U.S and we can not provide services to Iranians currently.

Not true. There are many problems and obstacles to overcome.
You path will not be; enter "the best", get an award, get a deal. It
will take years.

You can enter all of them. If three of them accept your movie THEN
you have a dilemma. That "non-compete" policy only applies when
you film is accepted. And won't that be a wonderful problem? Three
top festival want to screen your movie but you can only choose one
of them.

When that happens then ask us which one you should choose. But
you need to submit first. So submit to as many as you can.

starting to make the film next week. I'm assembling the shooting tools right now. I've heard it somewhere that even if you shoot the film with your I-phone it won't matter. The only thing that matters is your creativity in the process. Is that true? or do I need a professional cameras for this ?

Also how does NDA work? Does the reader send you an email containing some sort of a binding contract?

starting to make the film next week. I'm assembling the shooting tools right now. I've heard it somewhere that even if you shoot the film with your I-phone it won't matter. The only thing that matters is your creativity in the process. Is that true? or do I need a professional cameras for this ?
What is most important is story, acting, directing and good lighting
and audio. You can get a great looking image with an iPhone. HOW
you use the equipment is more important that what equipment.

You can even get some added interest from using an iPhone if it looks
really amazing.
Also how does NDA work? Does the reader send you an email containing some sort of a binding contract?
NDA's are almost useless when it comes to protecting a story from
getting leaked out. The way a NDA works is you have everyone
reading your script sign stating they will not tell anyone about your
story. However, if they do there is nothing you can do. My advice is
to not bother with a NDA.

You need a 4K camera if you want to make a Netfix movie. Take care of good light good sound and your all set Also... you can buy a Panasonic G6 for like 200,- euro.... with a 14-42mm lens you can make some good looking shots. If you still want to go for a I pone look at this bit... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhsg9KhGKQ

I find it admirable that you want to make this no mater the obstacles. I wish you all the best (and fun) with your project. :thumbsup:

You need a 4K camera if you want to make a Netfix movie. Take care of good light good sound and your all set Also... you can buy a Panasonic G6 for like 200,- euro.... with a 14-42mm lens you can make some good looking shots. If you still want to go for a I pone look at this bit... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhsg9KhGKQ

I find it admirable that you want to make this no mater the obstacles. I wish you all the best (and fun) with your project. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your support sir! I will definitely check out the video.
Cinema has always been the unconscious dream for me since I was 9 , but It's been only 2 years that I have realized that :lol: . so yeah, you can see where I'm going with this.
Also I personally believe what's happening in the Hollywood cinema industry, doesn't happen in any other film Industry in any other place.( completely a personal preference). So that's why I'm tunnel visioning only Hollywood:).

No matter what you do…

Get The Sound Right!!!

99.9999% of fledgling filmmakers completely ignore sound until it is much too late. "The Blair Witch Project" is invariably pulled out of the hat as an example of successful micro-budget filmmaking, however the fact that almost $1million was spent on audio post to make the film palatable to paying audiences is almost never noted.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.

If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.

Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what you do…

Get The Sound Right!!!

99.9999% of fledgling filmmakers completely ignore sound until it is much too late. "The Blair Witch Project" is invariably pulled out of the hat as an example of successful micro-budget filmmaking, however the fact that almost $1million was spent on audio post to make the film palatable to paying audiences is almost never noted.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.

If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.

Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

so right!
thank you.

Back