• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Questions about Mockumentaries

Hello all,

First i'd like to know whats your opinion about television Mockumentaries, do you think they're overused nowdays? Do you like that style?

Another question is, a Mockumentary also means that supposedly there is a filming crew present and shooting the events, correct? So let's say for example that if i use it and i have a scene where a character
goes into a complete stanger person's house (and of course the camera needs to be there too), doesn't that kinda break it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the age of mockumentaries has passed, but good new ones still appear from time to time. In general, all mockumentaries ignore the absence of camera crews to the extent that it's practically a genre convention. When the US Office tried to introduce a storyline where a character interacted with the camera crew, it really didn't work for that reason (having been invisible for about 200 episodes by that point...)

Mockumentaries on TV?
Any examples?
I only see bad fake reality TV, which is in essence not the same, but using the same principle of presenting stage performances as real.

My ultimate mockumentary is 'This is Spinal Tap'. I doubt whether or not it can be beaten, since it scores 11 out of 10 :P

Mockumentaries on TV?
Any examples?
I only see bad fake reality TV, which is in essence not the same, but using the same principle of presenting stage performances as real.

My ultimate mockumentary is 'This is Spinal Tap'. I doubt whether or not it can be beaten, since it scores 11 out of 10 :P

I agree! The Christopher Guest Mockumentaries are the only good ones I can think of!

First i'd like to know whats your opinion about television Mockumentaries, do you think they're overused nowdays? Do you like that style?
I like them. I think that anything can be overused. Even Guest failed
with "Mascots". I like that style.

Another question is, a Mockumentary also means that supposedly there is a filming crew present and shooting the events, correct? So let's say for example that if i use it and i have a scene where a character
goes into a complete stanger person's house (and of course the camera needs to be there too), doesn't that kinda break it?
I don't understand. Kinda break what? A MOCKumentary is mocking the
documentary form. Seems to me the entire point of a mockumentary is
to "kinda break it" so I suspect I'm missing your point. What breaks if
a character goes into a complete strangers house?

Thanks for your replies!

I was talking more about TV shows, like the good old "Trailer Park Boys", now "Parcs and Recreation", "Modern Family", "The Office", etc. Do you think there is any show where its use it is not necessary or not properly executed?

There are some great movies though, i really enjoyed watching"What we do in the shadows". You guys mentioned "This is Spinal Tap", judging from your words and from what i've already read about it, i really wany to watch that one.

directorik, forget about it. You're right, that question does not make any sense.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies!

I was talking more about TV shows, like the good old "Trailer Park Boys", now "Parcs and Recreation", "Modern Family", "The Office", etc. Do you think there is any show where its use it is not necessary or not properly executed?

There are some great movies though, i really enjoyed watching"What we do in the shadows". You guys mentioned "This is Spinal Tap", judging from your words and from what i've already read about it, i really wany to watch that one.

directorik, forget about it. You're right, that question does not make any sense.

The last three shows you've listed are not really mockumentaries beyond the visual style. They all abandoned the conceit quite quickly beyond a few format points.

Actually I would argue they overuse those specific format points (glances to camera, talking heads etc) as an efficient way to increase the number of jokes without having to write actual story beats. Why spend episodes setting up character interactions to reach a punchline when the characters can deliver the setup and punchline in a 20-second talking head cutaway? They can be funny (Phil Dunphy especially), but it's quite a lazy way to write and show comedy - telling not showing.

Back