Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Narrative

Old 10-31-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
DirectorX
Basic - Premiere Expired

Darkness

"Darkness"

Quick facts:
Filmed on location in Ohio.
Barely finished on time (well, technically it's not finished)
Filmed and edited in two weeks.
Camera chewed up three tapes in process.
Hard drive crashed [http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=8415]
"Special effects" are only temporary.

Can now be viewed here:
http://www.flaviuman.com/darkness.html
[Link updated Apr. 24 2006]

Last edited by DirectorX; 04-24-2006 at 03:49 AM.
DirectorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Zensteve
Basic - Premiere Expired

That was very nicely done, Flaviu.

The dull muted colours worked very well for the past. Looked fine in the present, as well, though I think keeping them brighter there would have made a nice contrast.

I don't think the whole file is uploaded, though. It ends when the man has stumbled out of the car.

Very well written, and fantastically shot. You really know how to move a camera around. The acting was great, as well.

Sad, tragic and touching story.
Zensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Terrasolo
Basic - Premiere Expired

Looked like an episode of the x-files. the lighting and shots I mean. In other words, very good looking. The sound was a bit low on my computer, but I got the point. Sad story.
Terrasolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
EddieLeonardo
Basic - Premiere Expired

This one creeped me out and for all intensive purposes that made for a great horror movie.
EddieLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
DirectorX
Basic - Premiere Expired

The clip uploaded here lacks credits (among many other things).

I just wanted to mention the music was composed by the extremely talented Tero Saikkonen (http://www.terosaikkonen.tk/) who is also a member of this board.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
skankis
Basic Member

Composition

Yea that composition rocked! Definately can learn something from that. Number 1 composer in my opinion.
skankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
Spatula
Basic - Premiere Expired

The cinematography is TOP NOTCH... a little too dark in some parts of the car, but the overall feel works really well for the picture.

Music- A1 amazing

Acting- top notch on all accounts. The dad was CREEPY, the kid was incredible, and that beautiful sister delivered her lines like a pro.

Sound was a little too quiet on some of the kid's lines.

Overall, amazing flick! Really, you tackled a sensitive subject, and the ending was DISTURBING without going overboard. We must work together one day, Flav... your sense of film style is incredible!
Spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
DirectorX
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankis
Yea that composition rocked! Definately can learn something from that. Number 1 composer in my opinion.
Tero is amazing. I've been meaning to work with him in some way or another for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula
The cinematography is TOP NOTCH... a little too dark in some parts of the car, but the overall feel works really well for the picture.

Music- A1 amazing

Acting- top notch on all accounts. The dad was CREEPY, the kid was incredible, and that beautiful sister delivered her lines like a pro.

Sound was a little too quiet on some of the kid's lines.

Overall, amazing flick! Really, you tackled a sensitive subject, and the ending was DISTURBING without going overboard. We must work together one day, Flav... your sense of film style is incredible!
Hmm...no bad comments, eh? Maybe you need to watch the film again.

PCs and Macs have different gamma settings, but I didn't realize the film looked so dark on PC. I'll upload a PC version ASAP! Sorry guys.

We must and will work together one day. But you gotta come to the US this time
Old 11-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
John@Bophe
Basic Member

Wow.

Flaviu, that was amazing. I'm watching on a PC -- and its so dark -- and I still think it is some of the most beautiful footage I've seen on this board. Your sense of lighting and movement is superb. The acting was also excellent. When I first heard the dad talking (before his face was on screen) I thought -- "Wow, he got Jeff Bridges!" sounded just like him...or was it Beau...hmmmm.

Critiques -- only one. Spoiler: The green screen effect is visible on the girl's face and dress at the end. I have seen from your other post that you are looking into that.

I understand you are making a lighter copy. I'm not sure I want one...something about this works SO well. I just want to see it finished, and at DVD quality so I can get a full screen view.
John@Bophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 AM   #10
DirectorX
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@Bophe
I understand you are making a lighter copy. I'm not sure I want one...something about this works SO well. I just want to see it finished, and at DVD quality so I can get a full screen view.
Funny thing about the darkness: I've seen this on an old PC (with built in video card) and the video looked extremely dark. You could barely see the people. Everything else was almost completely black. I thought that how it looked on PC.

Anyway, I uploaded a separate version for PC. John, if you get a chance, let me know how that looks on your PC.

All the greenscreen and what you mentioned there need to be re-done. Glad you liked it John. I'll make some DVDs when it's done.

The new version can be downloaded above in the original post.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
bird
Basic - Premiere Expired

I loaded this last night and viewed it this morning...Incredible work. You have a poetic sense of composition even when panning. I liked the high contrast, it really emphazises each shots 'subject' (girl on couch, knife, father's face looking----for girl under table).

The composition totally melds with image and added a profound layer of sadness to the story.

Spoiler: At first I thought the girl was the younger, abused version of the grown woman, and that she was seeking reconcililiation with past horrible experiences, ie: the reverberating pic of her as an adult while the child was pulled from under the table seemed like the ghost of her future self. Sorry, probably too much psycho babble...for which I'm known The father killing the child was totally shocking.

Terribly Beautiful Job, Flaviu!
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
Charles@Bophe
Basic - Premiere Expired

I loved the feel of this one... one of the most beautiful things I've seen and heard. Aside from the storytelling (which is incredible), the audio and visual presentation alone are superior. Wonderful job on all fronts; can't wait for DVD-quality version!

I just now found out that there are two versions of this file. I agree with John in that the darker version offers something more. The way you captured everything... I have no idea how this is working, but it seems like you get so much more by losing some of that light. My preference is that darker one!
Charles@Bophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #13
cibao
Basic - Premiere Expired

Another wonderful entry. Put me down for the DVD too. I would love to see it on a big screen.

I try to look at the entries as a whole. Other than something glaring at me, I'm not looking for minor errors, though sometimes I see them anyway. For this one, the story and the acting and the music carried me, and any errors went past me without my noticing. It did seem a little dark to me, but it was a VERY dark story. Half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

Great job!

Chris
cibao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
captain
Basic - Premiere Expired

I agree with the other posters ..a great effort ..good stuff Director x
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #15
briceman
Basic Member

Very good! I'd love a DVD as well.