I'm gonna make a tiny-budget movie that will be seen by many. Any objectors?

When I say "tiny-budget", I'm talking maybe $20K max. I plan for it to be every bit as entertaining as anything else you might see at the multiplex.

There's no deadline. I'm taking my time with this one to make sure it's done right. That being said, it's rather ambitious, and I'm scared about whether or not we'll be able to pull it off.

It's nice to feel scared again. Haven't felt that way in a while. I think that's all the proof I need that this project is going to work.

Anybody wanna scare me some more? I welcome it!

Distribution and finance can be as complex and nuanced as filmmaking itself. It's just as easy to make a mistake from filmmaking as it is in distribution and finance. Unlike filmmaking, early errors can destroy your films value and put you out of the race of any meaningful distribution.

All things to think about.

If you want to get something seen, put scantily clad chicks on it. Guys will watch long enough to get interested and keep watching.

My plan is a step past scantily :pop:
I've gotta stand out somehow?

It seems to work for game of thrones, the sopranos, etc.
Works well for HBO to include nudity in their content and I have to believe it would help attract internet traffic.

It seems a bit exploitative but I've been struggling to put the business in show business. IDK how to make money off a short film otherwise.

For folks in our shoes, it's not just a difficulty getting a movie made. It's not just a challenge to make it great. The real challenge is getting it seen.

I'm going to disagree. It's certainly a challenge to make a film which is "great" for the budget, a film which is great compared to other $20k films but it's almost impossible to make a "great film" for $20k. In other words, a film which is great even if you had no idea of it's budget. "Great" is a severely overused term, especially by filmmakers. Many of the films I've seen described as great are barely even watchable, let alone good and light years from great! If you do make a great film then "getting it seen" still requires some work but is not such a "real challenge", the demand for great film is huge and even just very good films can find themselves in a bidding war between distributors. Of course, I'm using "great" and "very good" as distributors/broadcasters and a mass audience appreciate the term, not as filmmakers often tend to.

Despite it being "almost impossible", I'm not necessarily shooting your idea down. Those who I shoot down tend to be those who are being completely irrational/illogical, not just aiming for the almost impossible but piling one almost impossibility on top of numerous other almost impossibilities, resulting in the compound odds against failure being astronomical.

G

lol@murdoch

Anyway, CF, I love the enthousiastic positive vibe. Makes me think shooting in Venice should be possible :)

Thanks! And of course you can shoot in Venice! You just might have to go guerrilla. :yes:

I'm going to disagree. It's certainly a challenge to make a film which is "great" for the budget, a film which is great compared to other $20k films but it's almost impossible to make a "great film" for $20k. In other words, a film which is great even if you had no idea of it's budget. "Great" is a severely overused term, especially by filmmakers. Many of the films I've seen described as great are barely even watchable, let alone good and light years from great! If you do make a great film then "getting it seen" still requires some work but is not such a "real challenge", the demand for great film is huge and even just very good films can find themselves in a bidding war between distributors. Of course, I'm using "great" and "very good" as distributors/broadcasters and a mass audience appreciate the term, not as filmmakers often tend to.

Despite it being "almost impossible", I'm not necessarily shooting your idea down. Those who I shoot down tend to be those who are being completely irrational/illogical, not just aiming for the almost impossible but piling one almost impossibility on top of numerous other almost impossibilities, resulting in the compound odds against failure being astronomical.

G

Well, of course my film won't be able to compete with films like Force Awakens or Inside/Out. If you prefer different semantics then I'll confidently declare that Rage of the Fire is going to be an entertaining film, one which I think will compare well when stacked up against other indie fare. :)

By the way, APE, one of the reasons producers use words like "great" is because it's our job to get other people excited. We're not lying, we're just trying to spread positivity. :cheers:

Love it when people are crazy ambitious, as it proves I'm not alone.

I will make a big epic post-apocalypse film called "Overcloud" using an old DSLR camera, a small laptop, and a few dollars for the actors.

My name is Nate Solano and I intend to make history!!! Don't believe me? Watch me prove you wrong.

And yes distribution scares the hell out of me! I've been doing so much research on that area and I still have no idea. I have a few companies in mind, and one who I was in contact with. But getting a good deal and exposure? I can only hope so.

Back