Do you think that filmmakers lie about their budgets to look good sometimes?

I worked as a PSM on someone else's short film. We all worked for free and were payed with food pretty much. The director then sent that short film into some production companies, wanting to make the short film into a feature, and was using the short showcase.

He got offered 10 million dollars from a company, but he turned it down. The company wanted him to use a cast and crew of their choice, and he would be out of the loop and picking his cast and crew. So he went to a different company and got a hundred thousand dollars instead, with the freedom to cast and crew whoever he wanted pretty much.

I wasn't invited back to the feature, so I do not know much more than that. I went to see the movie though, at a premiere at a film festival, where I live. But I was surprised at how incredibly microbudget it all seemed, even for a hundred thousand dollars, like he said it was... I was wondering where all the money went. The cinematography and sets were all very well done though. But the sound was poor, and it's not like there was a lot of complicated things going on, in front of the camera, that required a lot of money. There was a burn victim, so maybe a lot of the money went to the special effects for that one shot maybe. The movie was heavily advertised, and the filmmakers did travel to the U.S. and went on talk show though, so maybe that is were a lot of it went though.

But I was just surprised, and thought maybe they just said it was a million when it wasn't. But I was just simply curious, since I am into filmmaking, and want to learn more about how it all works. What do you think?

Last edited:
So he went to a different company and got a hundred thousand dollars instead

maybe they just said it was a million when it wasn't?

What???? First it was a hundred thousand, then it was a million?

Where did that extra 900,000 come from

yes they do... as an actress ive been on sets where they proudly explain their budget and then on IMDB they list it as 10x as much

however yes it could of gone on promotion, the smaller the budget the bigger percentage that goes to promotion... a film with no audience is useless

stop worrying about others though an focus on your own, their budget (or if they are lying about it) has nothing to do with your budgets

yes they do... as an actress ive been on sets where they proudly explain their budget and then on IMDB they list it as 10x as much

however yes it could of gone on promotion, the smaller the budget the bigger percentage that goes to promotion... a film with no audience is useless

stop worrying about others though an focus on your own, their budget (or if they are lying about it) has nothing to do with your budgets

:welcome:

Oh okay, I just went to the premiere of the movie at a film festival, and was just wondering, that's all. Since I want to learn the business of filmmaking, I am curious about all that stuff too, that's all.

Hi Harmonica44,

In our experience (being that we receive countless film submissions on a daily basis), yes - the budgets are greatly "puffed up" so to speak.

Since we are in the business of 'film acquisition' or 'film partnerships' as we describe it, we are forced to look past just the budget of a film because of the untrustworthiness of these numbers. Instead, we've actually incorporated a screening and accreditation process that helps us better understand the quality of a film for our viewers.

At any one moment, we have a minimum of 75 people whose sole focus is to rate, review, analyze, and accredit potential partnered titles. The program is one of extreme depth - but for the purpose of understanding at a macro level, here are a few things they look for when reviewing these titles - character development, story resonance, sound quality, competitor placement (has it been acquired by competitors in rivaling markets), festival appearances, and awards won. This data helps us understand the quality of a film much more than "is this title made for x".

While this may not be of extreme use to you, hopefully it provides further context how a disruptive company determines our partnerships - even better, would be serving as guidance for your upcoming film projects! :)

- Flix Premiere

here are a few things they look for when reviewing these titles - character development, story resonance, sound quality, competitor placement (has it been acquired by competitors in rivaling markets), festival appearances, and awards won. This data helps us understand the quality of a film much more than "is this title made for x".

While this may not be of extreme use to you, hopefully it provides further context how a disruptive company determines our partnerships - even better, would be serving as guidance for your upcoming film projects! :)

- Flix Premiere

Since when is judging a movie by its merits instead of its budget disruptive?
It is combining exactly how people have been watching movies since it was invented (is it interesting, do we care and is it watchable?) plus a track record and determining it's position in the market.
I think it is common sense.

And about lying about a budget: it would be smarter to talk the budget down. That way it looks like you delivered more bang for the buck :P
Leave out 1 zero and you seem more of a genius than when you add one ;)

What budget? ;) jk
I know I lied about the budget of my first feature in 2007. I told people it cost a few thousand dollars (it was a purposeful B movie- allowed me to get away with bad acting and sound) but in reality, it cost me $600. That money went towards props and snacks for a 12 day shoot. I didn't mind though, I learned so much making that "trunk novel" that it was more than worth it. But yes, I used to lie about the cost.

Oh okay. I was just wondering cause it was a project with not a lot of high pay or perks for the actors, and it looks like was shot for no more than 30K maybe, when you watch it on the screen, but that is just my humble opinion, and what do I know. So I was just wondering... Thanks.

what do I know

Trust me, if the other filmmaker was trying to make an excuse, you'd sniff it out a mile away. You're the expert when it comes to excuses. I've seen no better.

When it comes to film making, unfortunately, this is the one time you're right. You don't know much and there's a good reason for it. Can you guess why?

Just quoting you in advance...

The answer to this question is yes, no, sometimes, maybe.

Directors can even lie the other way, about being on a shoestring. That has also worked for marketing...

Pretty much ALL you guys lie when you say you're doing a zero budget film. ;)

The answer to this question is yes, no, sometimes, maybe.

Directors can even lie the other way, about being on a shoestring. That has also worked for marketing...

Pretty much ALL you guys lie when you say you're doing a zero budget film. ;)

Yep :P

Yest they lie. If they put out a low budget the distributor will lowball them on distribution. If they inflate the budget they might get a better distribution deal. Or not.

I guess I think the opposite way. When I am honest and admit there was no budget, I imagine people will think "well this movie does stink, but after all he had no budget" and pity me :)

I've never understood why indie filmmakers lie about their budget. To me, that's like somebody lying about how much they weigh, or lying about their age. The number doesn't change how you look.

It actually can make you look better.

One makes a film for $25,000. Says they made it for $500.

The response is "WOW, this guy just made this film for $500!"

So yes, it can alter perception.

It actually can make you look better.

One makes a film for $25,000. Says they made it for $500.

The response is "WOW, this guy just made this film for $500!"

So yes, it can alter perception.

True. I guess I thought we were mostly talking about filmmakers falsely inflating their budgets.

Even so, I still think it's silly to lie about this. Either keep your budget a secret or tell the truth. If your film is shitty, it's still gonna be shitty, and perception of budget doesn't make it any less so.

Back