Finding Free Acting Talent

I'll say that's the real advantage of film school for people outside of LA and NY. It seems like an uphill battle. I like to build relationships and take care of people that look out for me. If I gotta pay anyone $50 to do my shorts then they will earn every penny.

So, how do you all get talent for your films without paying? Or you just bite the bullet.

My film school is partnered up with an acting school so I'm lucky ;)
Also, many casting websites will have 'free work' actors, usually desperate to fill up their showreel and get as much experience as possible.

My film school is partnered up with an acting school so I'm lucky ;)
Also, many casting websites will have 'free work' actors, usually desperate to fill up their showreel and get as much experience as possible.
It's an interesting idea. Would someone looking for talent need to pay?

I tried Craigslist but no luck. Not any luck with the Facebook groups either.

You might try some of the drama clubs from some of the colleges or acting schools. There might be some film web sites in your area that allow free postings.
Thanks. I'm just strapped for cash that i can't afford to print copies to post around schools. My craigslist produced a few replies but I want a more sizable pool. I will bite the bullet if I have to. Living in Miami, there's quite a few.

Just checked Backstage and Miami area has over 5K headshots to view.

My best luck was with posting casting calls on BS.

Good luck man!

Oh cool congrats.

Thanks for the backstage suggestion. I reopened casting for the female lead because on 2 occasions I asked for the original lead's email and contact number just in case I need to get a hold of her, emergency, etc. Never gave them to me. I know she read them because she replied to other messages. My instincts said she'd likely flake on the day of. I pushed it back two weeks from my initial date for her already. Backstage offered me a promo code to cast for free and applicants are coming in. Some that look closer to how I envision the character.

Idk so I am asking. It's looking likely she lost the role so how do I go about relaying the information that I reopened casting?

You might want to wait until you've actually found someone that you prefer before you tell her that, although you do risk having her hear it second hand.

Once you get to that point, I'd go with something like, "Thanks so much for your interest in the role of X. I've decided to go in a different direction with the casting, but wish you all the best."

You might want to wait until you've actually found someone that you prefer before you tell her that, although you do risk having her hear it second hand.

Once you get to that point, I'd go with something like, "Thanks so much for your interest in the role of X. I've decided to go in a different direction with the casting, but wish you all the best."
What's your opinion on her etiquette?

If you feel she is right for the part ask again for the info:

"Hi _____! I never received your mobile number. Please text it to ***-***-**** or reply to this email, and feel free to contact me anytime about the production. Looking forward to it!"

You do not need to explain why or press. It is a production. This wording is cordial and also beneficial to her. She may be a new actress and afraid to give it to a male director. Was this a craigslist casting? Make her comfortable and be professional. Is she a non-actress or did she have a headshot and bio? It is not on there?

Or simply explore other avenues and see what Backstage has to offer.

If you feel she is right for the part ask again for the info:

"Hi _____! I never received your mobile number. Please text it to ***-***-**** or reply to this email, and feel free to contact me anytime about the production. Looking forward to it!"

You do not need to explain why or press. It is a production. This wording is cordial and also beneficial to her. She may be a new actress and afraid to give it to a male director. Was this a craigslist casting? Make her comfortable and be professional. Is she a non-actress or did she have a headshot and bio? It is not on there?

Or simply explore other avenues and see what Backstage has to offer.
I feel I got better prospects from Backstage. She didn't have any professional headshots or a bio. She responding to my CL ad. I gifted her the role because I thought I wouldn't have been able to find another woman interested. No information at all. She did the audition video for me. It's just strange. I've been professional and is aware of anyone's skepticism.

When you start out, it is always difficult to convince people, who don't know you, to give their spare time to you. I started with asking friends and relatives to build a portfolio.

@OP:
Do you already have a portfolio?

Most actors (m/f) look at casting calls like this:
- Does the idea sound interesting/fun/cool?
- What quality does the previous work look like? (Will it make me look good? Will it add something to my reel/experience?)
- Can I affort to spend this time on a project?
- Does it seem like a legit (non-scam, no pie in the sky) project? (Can the filmmaker pull it off?)

And then there is the whole art of writing casting calls that can really make a big difference. It has to read like a serious project, yet full of enthousiasm without rediculous claims and it needs to contain what the role asks from the actor/actress (no surprises on set!) and when you intend to shoot (makes it easy to plan). Also be clear about whether or not you will pay travel expenses or not. (I usually do "as long as you don't hire a helicopter ;) " ) and make sure you provide for food and drinks on set (and say that in your casting call: it shows you care about your cast and crew).

I know it can be done.
I only pay actors (m/f) when it is a paid (commercial/corporate) project. However, on my own projects I do reimburse travel expenses and of course I provide food and drinks on set.

How do you go about telling an actress that she didn't get the part? Acted well but she doesn't have the look. She's talented and I'll like to write and create something more her. I won't tell her she doesn't have the look but she doesn't fit the role.

Tell her you found someone else for that part who was a perfect/better fit.
But also compliment her with her talent and expres your desire to work with her on a future project.

Back