I'm going to do it!

sfoster

Staff Member
Life is for the living.
I am going to make a great short film!

The script is 3 pages, and it will take me about a year and a half to shoot.
It's a super hero action comedy

I've also got a separate, one-day crime-thriller set to film on march 9th.

yeah absolutely agree it's the nudity. Thats why I went through all this trouble with the model website. All these chicks have nude photos of themselves online. It's not a big deal to take off your top when anyone can download a picture of you topless.

I have no experience so I have no idea. But like Walter said, don't necessarily take their lack of a response as a rejection; it does seem like a lot of them simply don't log in regularly. Perhaps solid offers just don't come in very often, so they lose interest in checking in regularly.

It might also be that the models comfortable with doing nude stills are intimidated by the prospect of acting, even if they might be quite capable of doing it well or well enough. And yeah, perhaps those on MM who already are actors are leery of doing nudity.

Don't get discouraged. I think someone like you needs to think of these difficulties as just part of the challenge, and even embrace those challenges. Like Guanto says, there's nothing he'd rather be doing. And if it were so easy, everyone would be doing it, right?

Someone said the models/actors might be more enticed by an IMDb page and the like. Maybe you don't have one of those yet. So I wonder if sending them a link to the short films you've already made might help to establish your cred' and assure them you're not just a horny GWC making a home video.

Last edited:
Part of getting approved on model mayhem was that I had to provide a link to some stuff I've done on my profile. So it's there for anyone to watch.

But yeah a lot of these girls are probably just airheads - they don't know how to set it up so they get notifications on their cell phone when someone sends them an email.

That's really the only explanation for why they wouldn't even log into to read the messages. Most have not - it says when the last day they logged in was.

One of the two girls who replied to me was to ask when the dates were. When that was literally the first line of the message I sent her listing the dates.

Let's see. Are there any other resources like MM where you might find actors (or models) willing to do nudity in a short film?

Have you considered Craigslist?

i think i'll go to craigslist next.
I also still have about a dozen models without acting interest that I can message.

Maybe I also need to be more egotistical and talk about what a fantastical once in a lifetime opportunity this film is. generally i strive to portray humility, regardless of whats going on inside my mind :lol:

Well, maybe you do need to be a salesman, not to deceive, but to persuade. Your own (and your project's) cheerleader. At this level, who else will do it? I suppose it's like making a pitch. :)

Well, maybe you do need to be a salesman, not to deceive, but to persuade. Your own (and your project's) cheerleader. At this level, who else will do it? I suppose it's like making a pitch. :)

My dreams and aspirations are probably unrealistic but I've added that it's going to sundance :lol: Well it might just be sent right back, at least it shows now that I am aiming high this is not a simple youtube project.

Okay so craigslist also turned up no real leads so I've put my sonor maple drum set, double bass pedal and everything up for sale for $1000.

If I can unload that I'll send out another casting call with the funds. Obviously $300 was not cutting it, no one even asked to read the script.

I'm curious about your casting calls:
what did you write?
Maybe IT can polish it a bit :)

Haha great now I can embarrass myself, thanks!
But sure you guys are helping me out, I'll subject myself to it

Original posting
DcActorsMailingList said:
Casting for: Non-Union Light skinned Female
Duration: Two very short days (2-3 hours). In late august/early september
Pay: $350

This is a very ambitious short film to promote transgender acceptance. I
need an actress to play a superhero and be okay with a little trial and
error beforehand in designing her costume.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
There is a topless (non-sexualized) scene in this film so please be
comfortable with that!

If you have auditioned for me before I still encourage you to apply for
this role. I don't want to proposition any actresses about a topless scene
so I am taking this route instead to allow those interested to contact me.

Then after that didn't work, this was posted to the second channel in an attempt to "talk myself up" more

FacebookGroup said:
Maryland actresses: This is a very serious project to me, I'm changing my body composition by 90lbs throughout filming! Come be a part of something special, an opportunity like this doesn't come along very often! 3 years now I've waited for the right time to do my best idea, and the time is now but it's been a hell of a challenge finding finding a committed actress that is okay with being topless in a scene. I've had a few say they're interested then I never hear from them again. Just two short days of filming, a couple of hours each, and it pays $300. I need someone that is going to look natural in a blonde wig, so white or very light skin color is necessary. This project is going to stand out from the crowd, that is a guarantee. Lets make it happen.

Okay so craigslist also turned up no real leads so I've put my sonor maple drum set, double bass pedal and everything up for sale for $1000.

If I can unload that I'll send out another casting call with the funds. Obviously $300 was not cutting it, no one even asked to read the script.

Wow! Holy cow. Sorry, man. I hope it at least does the trick.

I'm curious about your casting calls:
what did you write?
Maybe IT can polish it a bit :)

:lol: I was wondering the same thing. :yes:

Please don't take any critique I make personally. And I applaud your courage in posting these and putting them up for "assessment."

First and foremost, note that it's not like I have my thumb on the pulse of the psychology of your typical model looking for work via MM (or Craigslist or wherever).

I like your first casting call better. It comes off as more professional. The second seems too "needy," perhaps.

(But again, what the hell do I know what's going to appeal to a model/actress?)

(I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a model looking at your casting call, by the way, among other things.)

So I see the two day commitment. That might trouble me. Maybe I have a crappy day job working as a waitress or whatever. It might be tough getting off of work for two or more days. And am I going to need a hotel? What's that going to cost? Or maybe late august/early September is about when I'm going to be getting ready to go back to school.

Maybe the more hefty pay day will solve that hang-up.

I don't think I like the last paragraph, except for the first statement. If you really do want people who have auditioned for you before, I might keep it simpler and more direct, like: I encourage those who have auditioned for me before to audition for me again. I hope there's a more elegant way to put it than that, but I mean something simple, to the point, and like you really mean it.

I would probably not use the word "proposition" in a casting call like this in any context, especially not as a verb.

And I believe I would inxnay that entire last statement.

I would think it might be helpful to offer any serious inquirer the opportunity to read the script, also. Or at least it might be helpful to give a synopsis or explain the premise.

"This is a very serious project to me, I'm changing my body composition by 90lbs throughout filming!" might come off as "a little too much information," as they say, in a casting call. She probably just wants to know you're the guy in charge, who's calling the shots, and who knows what he's doing. Tales of your extreme dieting, or any extreme behavior, might be off-putting.

My feeling is that the second casting call might be something you lay on 'em in subsequent emails or over the phone once they show interest or they are in. I feel like it may be too casual, which might make you sound unprofessional.

When it does come to putting that selling spin on your project, I think you or we might want to include something about it being fun, creative, and meaningful. Fun and working creatively together seem to be recurring ideals expressed by different models whose profiles or casting calls I've read.

But boy, I may be way off base in my opinions. Again, I am not a filmmaker and have zero experience with this stuff. So the above is highly speculative on my part. I've never written a casting call in my life. What would really help is if I saw multiple examples of successful casting calls in order to make intelligent judgements.

So it would be really great and I'd also really like to hear what Walter and others with real experience think, or how they do it.

Last edited:
Wow! Holy cow. Sorry, man. I hope it at least does the trick.

No worries, this project is the only thing I want to do with my life.
I just wish I had more to sell. I went through all my old comics, comic cards, baseball cards and magic cards and they're all worthless. It's crazy I remember buying 94 fleer ultra x-men cards for $5 a pack and now a complete set can be purchased for $20 on ebay. Even my web of spiderman #1 comic is worth less now than it was 20 years ago (thats the one where he goes to the bell tower and rings the venom suit off his body) apparently I made terrible 'collectable' purchases as a kid.

(I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a model looking at your casting call, by the way, among other things.)

Were you sitting down the whole time, or did you try walking around in those heels? ;)

So I see the two day commitment. That might trouble me. Maybe I have a crappy day job working as a waitress or whatever. It might be tough getting off of work for two or more days. And am I going to need a hotel? What's that going to cost? Or maybe late august/early September is about when I'm going to be getting ready to go back to school.

Fair point - I should include that I'll work with them on the schedule.
Also a good point about the word proposition - good thing I didn't post my craigslist ad :lol:

"This is a very serious project to me, I'm changing my body composition by 90lbs throughout filming!" might come off as "a little too much information," as they say, in a casting call. She probably just wants to know you're the guy in charge, who's calling the shots, and who knows what he's doing. Tales of your extreme dieting, or any extreme behavior, might be off-putting.

I'm not sold on this but you could be right. My intentions in saying that was to talk up the project more. That it was going to be something special by having such a dramatic change on camera. I didn't really mean to be talking about myself but more about the project, but yeah. I could have said lead actor. Maybe that would be better, and just not mention in the ad that I am the lead actor.

When it does come to putting that selling spin on your project, I think you or we might want to include something about it being fun, creative, and meaningful. Fun and working creatively together seem to be recurring ideals expressed by different models whose profiles or casting calls I've read.

In my other casting calls I have talked about how it's important to have fun on set with low budget filming. You're probably right about that.

Thanks for the feedback.

---

Well it's stupid to get my hopes up, and I wasn't going to make a post just about this but I sent a message to an older lady tonight in her 50s. She is in really great shape, strong but feminine and has a perfect look for the part but just says modeling nothing about acting. Since she is older, got started in modeling late, I feel like maybe she will be easier to connect with than these little kids in their 20s probably getting a dozen messages a day. Reality she probably won't even log in to read the message :lol:

Last edited:
I'm working on some deadlines now, so I'll keep it short.

Talk less about how important the project is to you and make it important for the actress.
Tell more about the story, because I only see something about the theme, but what does actually happen?
What cool stuff does the superwoman do?

Use a nice headline. Starting with: Casting: non union blabla doesn't catch the eye.
"Ambitious shortfilm looking for light skinned super heroin" might catch some attention.

When talking about the topless part, mention it is a scene in the Garden of Eden: it reveals more about the story and even creates a nice picture in the minds of most readers.

Do you have a (female) makeup artist? (MUA)
That can help to make replying more accessable, because it takes away the worry about how good they will look and some feel safer if there is a mua.

PS.
Also check the travel notices on MM. You never know who might travel to Maryland that period.

I agree with Richy's points.

Also: I'm not sure - so the actresses might not be sure - what you mean by "light-skinned."
Are you looking for a light-skinned African American woman?
Or a pale Caucasian woman? I think you should be clearer.

If that's essential for your short, then fine. But you're limiting the pool of potential applicants fairly substantially with that description, regardless of which way you mean it.

Last edited:
There is some really great advice here, thanks!
Below is the new email - I've taken in everything you said and I've FIRED UP THE EGO! Watch out guys this is hot stuff ;)

I'll send out the message tomorrow night in case you guys want to add something I missed.

----
Ground breaking short film seeks ACTRESS to play the title character.

PAY: $800 for one day and one night of shooting.
SEEKING: White Female aka You must look natural in a blonde wig.
WHEN: Day August 30th & Night September 25th. Subject to change at your request.
Non-Union.

I need an actress for a very important role - the first and last scene of my film, she is the title character and will be used in promotional materials. A make up artist is available to make you look your best.

Why should you believe in me or my film, just another meaningless indie guy?
No! An email won't convince you - Take a look at this 1 minute clip about me - Sean Foster.
https://vimeo.com/135214610

Take a look at the inventions, software, and mathematical equations I applied to something as casual as beer pong. I'm an uncommonly smart, creative person and I've done nothing but apply myself to film now for three years after my friend won an oscar. I haven't had a day job for a year and a half. Everything I've been doing is focused toward this one particular, amazing short film and I need YOU to be a very important part of it.

Did you watch that video?
I also look really amazing in drag, check out this picture because I'll be on camera with you in the film.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/MichaelLayth/Sexy/Divinity-Cape.jpg

This film has a great cause, it promotes transgender acceptance!! Come and join my team, we are fighting to get into the spot light and I have just the amazing script to do it!! We've got a professional videographer that does this 9-5 for a living. You might not understand it when I say this, but the part requires a very classy topless scene. You'll understand when you read the script. In the final scene it makes a powerful statement about the difference between a man and a woman when their shirts are removed. I invite you to read the script if you aren't convinced!

A fight sequence for you is optional if you want to kick some ass at the beginning of this film, but the script does fine without it.

---

I don't expect anyone to watch that video as they are reading the email, but I think it still serves my point.

Last edited:
I don't know about them, but I'm sold.

And, gurrl, you do look amazing in drag.

:)

I'm gonna be sad vicariously if you can't find anyone to play this for you because I won't be glad to hear (and can hardly believe) it's so difficult to fill a role with a little nudity in it...and when the pay is nothing to sneeze at.

And I'm glad you mentioned that you're concerned about making them look good. I think actors want to know that the director will protect them from looking bad or like a fool.

The first email I sent had … in the url for the drag picture instead of the full URL. Whoops.

So I got a little interest with this better casting call.
Two girls from north carolina and one from atlanta.

I'm in maryland!! :( Not a single local girl inquired about the project.
Perhaps I will find a way to work with one of these girls that live a 5-6 hour drive away.

Back