Social Brain Wave: News

FWIW, I wanted to go this route because IT is a working forum and not expressly a place for us to hock our wares, so to speak.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next. ;)

I upload music every week as I have for a year, I just don't post it here. :)
I made this one for the new year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH4XPRrGoB4 Liked it!

If you want me to make you a short list of tracks to put into one of your playlists then I can do that. All you'd have to do is click "add video via URL", it's that simple, though I'm sure you know that already, sorry. I'm enjoying learning all of these things. Thanks.

As an side, but relevant related subject, are all of you good on how to make annotations to your videos?Especially to the channel "Subscribe" link?

As for the marketing side of things, have you all "liked" our Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/SocialBrainWave
We only have 7 right now so I expect some of you aren't on there yet. This morning it's up to 9, and it seems there's only a handful of us chatting there.
Maybe we're just unfashionably early. ;)

Also, once we're up and running, you guys should send me videos you want me to link on the Facebook page every now and then. I'm posting what I got there.

We shouldn't advertise SBW for now, I think, we don't have any solid content on the YT channel and we don't have any regular contributors either. Agreed.

I plan on making a new tutorial every fortnight for the SBW channel with in-depth versions for my own channel. If people want basics they can watch just SBW, if they want explanations and exercises I'll provide those on mine. I think we could consider a SBW Tutorials section, as I and others are also planning on making tutes.

Anyone have any experience with CamStudio? http://camstudio.org/

WRT promoting SBW - I think we get through the kinks, get some content posted, and then actively promote.
Definitely the plan.

It has become quite a task to learn all these new skill-sets... I thought it was going to be a challenge learning film and audio skills, this other stuff just adds to the fun.
:D LOL! Fo sho!
I'm having to figure out all sorts of funky stuff beyond strict filmmaker stuff - and all of it's relevant.
I can't really say any of it doesn't benefit me.
All of us working together to share our school of hard knocks experiences is going to make us all better, which is of course the point and purpose of this collaborative venture.

GL, everyone!

I was just thinking the other day that I should do some how to's on assembling pictures, editing, and selecting music for photo based video's. I downloaded Camstudio 2 weeks ago to try to scam my kids into making Minecraft videos for me...

For now I am scheduled for uploading a video on Sat or Sun of every week, with a few odds and ends thrown in as I can.

It seems as though for organizational purposes, I need a separate computer with all my social media sites and info only. Remembering how many sites I need to update and link to is tough for this old buzzard... Would help not losing pre-assembled content ready for upload too. Does anyone else find it hard to hold back their finished work to upload the following week?

I do need to get more used to annotations, and how to link things, post things, follow things, etc. I annotated but without a link... I'll straighten those kinks one at a time I guess...

I'm running a goog search for "youtube male, 35-44" looking for a list of top subscribed channels for that demographic since many of us SBWers are within spittin' distance of that and I wanted to get an idea of what the collective "we" are watching content-wise.

Found this: http://www.bradjenkinsrealty.com/tampa-real-estate-male-searchers/
I dunno how much "tampa" and "real estate" searches can be applied to any and all online search activity, but I figured there was some strong correlation.

Men comprise 50% of the overall on-line searches for Tampa real estate between the ages of 35-64 compared to women who make up 29% according to Yahoo Clues. Men and women between the ages of 35-44 comprise 40% of the real estate searches. Looking at the age group of 45-64 the total percentage of men and women is 39%. There is only a nine year difference in the largest percentage of searches in the 35-44 age category compared to a 19 year difference in the latter. Overall, for all age groups, men search for real estate on-line 63% of the time compared to women at 37%.

FWIW, most data shows that males 35-44 are mostly looking for/at young women in various states of existence.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

FWIW, most data shows that males 35-44 are mostly looking for/at young women in various states of existence.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

Not my plan of attack...:grumpy:
Hoping to offer clean wholesome entertainment. Good thing I'm not looking to be a millionaire. LOL.
Seriously though, maybe some real estate related video's like doing reviews on property in Miami???:lol:

I'm thinking I may just have to do what I do and advertise the heck out of it, hoping to catch a following.
Just gonna keep slugging away no matter what.

At the moment, yeah.

The founding idea is to learn better skills at developing our own individual youtube channels of regular content to cultivate followings for monetization as an end product or to direct the resource power of that following towards a crowdfunding campaign for a non-youtube project.

It's not really for the sporadic producer, as many of us here at IT are.
It's aimed at regular content producers, which some of us already are or are trying to be at various levels of success.

Now, if someone can develop a following at vimeo then that'd be fine as well, it just adds another level of complexity to SBW community integration to reap the benefits of cross promotion within the network.

My last upload has some quality issues I can't figure out, but was done on schedule. Might be time to change NLE's?? Here's the link for any interested. A short introduction by me is included at the beginning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZjKwE76X4
(To embed a YT video here just include the jibberish character code between the = and the &.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZjKwE76X4[/YT <--- add a ] there to close it and it'll work fine! :yes: )

I forgot what NLE you were using, but I ripped your video from YT and tinkered with it only some.

(YES! You can play these in near-sync together by clicking both "play" arrows!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PefR5vZhXk Interesting. I don'y know why this is 21 seconds longer than yours. :huh:
The vertical compression probably happened somewhere between the ripping and video conversion to work in my NLE, Adobe Premiere Elements 10. Whateves.

Tying for first and second place "most noticeable" both the audio is waaaay too low and that intro background is almost perfect for a chroma key background.
Six of one...

Just ferr schitzengiggles I put a little kids dance video back there just for the halibut, but it demonstrates that with a little tweaking (pull that background drape taut, light it even, dress to contrast with it) you'd have a good setup for keying in or out something.

Hello_zps8a4722a4.png

However, probably more (mature, ahem... ) important is to figure out your own set up's quality control system for maintaining consistent audio output.
I kicked yours up +20db, and of course that was without the benefit of being able to mix your dialog with the soundtrack. In the picture above that's the red arrow pointing to where the audio level was raised.

Sometimes I gotta fudge with stuff in an audio editor (Free Audio Editor) before bringing that audio in separate into the NLE.

In that red box is an audio jump that came with your video. I didn't do anything to make that happen.
Do you have a fair idea about whassup widdat?

In third place the videos of the birds would benefit from some tinkering with brightness and contrast - but on each and every separate clip. There isn't a "one setting fixes all."

Last edited:
:blush:
Wow! I guess I deserved that one... Uhmmm. Thanks?

Ok, so lightworks and windows moviemaker live are the two I have been using. And I think Lightworks is over my head right now. WMM live just flat out su(ks! What are you using?

The chroma background is a fold-up portable black/white unit 5x7 that is just for that purpose but when I saw the shadows pop through, I nixed the background idear. Might get a blue/green one, but I have a 10ft section of chroma blue wall in my basement and another 1/2 gallon of the paint. YES, just get a chroma blue or green sample and get a gallon mixed in the cheapest flat house paint at your local hardware store, $12 if its mixed in last years primer. Annnd, it covers walls, tables, tarps, anything, around 400 square feet (according to the label, haha).

I haven't found any audio controls beyond volume, and only dB cutoffs in the eq on lightworks, like I said it's kinda over my head right now just finding the controls it offers.

The vertical is probably coming from me rendering in 720 then sometimes in 1080? I've been having codec and file association issues so not sure if my conversion software is doing something to it.
I would like to simplify the whole affair since I see plenty of videos shot with the same equipment and they are much clearer. Would like to load files, edit, and render in a much simpler flow.

I'm using (and really just learning) Adobe PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS AND PREMIERE ELEMENTS 10.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/281046645996?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Nah, the compression error is on my end. Your video uploaded just fine, unless it looks different when you watch it on LW/WMM.

Yeah, getting your process figured out (however complex of a cakewalk it turns out to be) is a very important issue to determine, and why you see me sharing my experiences about just that. :yes:

For audio I would use a separate audio production software that has all the necessary plugins and effects to sort out all your issues quickly.
For example, white noise is easily destroyed by using a noise reduction plugin such as Redunoise by Voxengo. Get something like REAPER (a Digital Audio Workstation, "DAW") and you can mix, master and playback the video in real time while you do it!
It's what I use to mix for video and also for scoring the projects I take part in.

I'm hoping to start some stuff soon. Step one is to plan everything out and decide how I want to organise videos tutorials and cross promotion.
I've got one project that's coming to a close in the next few days and I'm waiting to see what happens with that, then it's down to the nitty-gritty.

Back