DIY Pistol Whip

Hey guys, first post. Can't wait to get some feedback.

I have a shoot coming up where we need to do a full on pistol whip with as direct an angle as possible. Safety is obviously top priority. And help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Red scarlet with BMCC as b cam.

The very best way is to get hold of a soft rubber, or better yet, foam gun from a decent prop supplier.
If you can't source one, you could always use this work around for metal guns which I used before I found foam. Hold the barrel with the thumb running alongside the grip and the wrist limp, and hand and arm 'loose'. Aim to hit with the side of the thumb but 'pull' it at the last minute, and the gun snaps back. I've used this before and it requires some practice, but is passable close-up. IT will give a little hit to the receiver, which helps with realism, but so far, never had a problem.

What do you mean by as direct as possible? There's plenty of angles that allow a good spanking without risk of anyone being hit. Perspective is always our friend (or enemy) here!

Frame skipping can help too give a bit of snap to the strike too, but be carefull with this. To my eye it can look a bit animated if not pulled off well, as can changing your shutter angle for that choppy look.

Back