Super-8 Camera Prices going up on Ebay

Just for kicks I'll usually put in a bid on a Canon 814XLS or 1014XLS on Ebay. lol, all I can say is in the past couple of months my maximum bid doesn't last as long as it used to.

As time goes on I think people that are interested in trying Super-8 just want the best camera for the money. They don't want to go through any learning curve in terms of camera quality or benefits, just tell them the best two or three camera choices, and it's off to the races.

This rather shrewd way of learning about Super-8 filmmaking has no doubt been brought on by the immediacy of digital video. It looks like it's one thing to accept the slower pace and additional steps involved in making a super-8 film, but it's quite another to take a stepping stone approach and learn on a cheaper camera and them move up. Instead, there is more of a "bring it on" mentality. I think that is a good thing.

My conclusion is that if someone actually made a new run of Super-8 cameras, like a Canon 1014XLS, and threw in a way to record onboard digital audio, make the camera crystal sync and run quiet, these new super-8 cameras would sell like hotcakes for around a thousand dollars each.

When Kodak's Vision 3 films hit Super-8, it's basically going to keep giving filmmakers and digital video makers a way to make indie super-8 films with a unique look and style and minimal (but necessary) lighting. Yes, nowadays, the high end NLE systems with experienced editors have gotten pretty good at making video footage look like whatever they want, but super-8 is still super-8, and its film, and there is something organic about walking into the editing suite knowing all your film needs is a tweak to the basic overall look rather than a complete makeover to make it "sellable".

Last edited:
A name from my past. Many years ago I rented a super 8 flatbed
from you to cut my first feature, "Horror Brunch".

I still own three super 8 cameras - Nikon R10, Beaulieu 4008 ZM II
and the 1014XLS . One of these days I want to shoot another film
on super 8. I think the only reason I haven't is because of the sync
issue. But I love those cameras - I use them as B-cams sometimes.

-rik

Welcome!

Wow, does that shake a few brain cobwebs or what.

I recall having that flatbed and I guess I did rent it out. I vaguely, ever so vaguely recall you returning it and I think it kind of sort of worked for you but it was kind touchy to use and could scratch film if one wasn't careful???
Although I don't recall what happened to the flatbed afterwards.

I do remember back then when we kept in touch you had managed to direct at least one film a year for quite a few years.

Back