• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing a Scene From a Character's POV?

I've recently written a chunk of something and two separate comments suggested that I should be writing a scene from the POV of a specific character. I'm a little new to this, and maybe it's the phrasing, but I'm a little confused.

I might be looking too much into this, but wouldn't that be a little like "telling not showing." I can't get too deep into a character through action lines (unless those actions are able to be filmed).

For example, if two characters drive up to a huge house, I can't say things like "Bob stares at the estate, jealous. It's something he's never had, but always wanted."

That would be the POV of Bob during that scene, but couldn't the same reaction be done through dialogue and have the action simplified like "Bob stares at the estate, amazed."

I can provide examples from my project if anyone is interested.

He's simply asking to see an example in a major script. This is not beyond reason. Please allow his request.

Quality I think you don't get how I see it. The Indietalk answer is the proper, I DON'T see it seriously and this is why I'm asking from someone who sees it seriously to explain with examples. So my question is a bit ironic.. Actually we agree 100%, the POV is always and only the POV of the reader.

His right eye is looking through the scope

INT. LIVHNGROOM- DAY
Mark, who is sitting calmly on a sofa and is watching TV.

How can this scene be written from the POV of the assassin differently from the POV of Mark?
(Sorry for my English)

Last edited:
I don't really understand your point. You wrote the same line about Mark who is watching tv and you just name it Mark's POV. Either way it is impossible not to describe Mark's or the assassin's situation and therefore include both POVs which ultimately is the reader's POV.
Please explain if you want more detailed. Write that scene from the POV of the assassin and then write it again from the POV of Mark. This time my request is not ironic :yes: , I really want to learn something new, if this whole POV writing thing is not a nonsense.

Last edited:
Well, let's say...

Assassin's POV: The assassin holds motionless his gun towards the opposite building.
Only his belly barely moves while he is breathing steadily.
His right eye is looking through the scope.

Mark's POV: Mark sits calmly on a sofa watching TV. He sees a glare reflecting off the scope at a distance from the lights in the city. Mark thinks it is nothing. He ignores it and changes the channel on the TV.

There's a few problems there already. One is, Mark's POV, how would he know the glare is a scope? You would not write it like that. He would just see a glare. You also wrote what Mark thinks. That it is nothing. That is also wrong. You wrote what he was thinking. Besides the POV discussion here, that is just riddled with issues.

I've recently written a chunk of something and two separate comments suggested that I should be writing a scene from the POV of a specific character. I'm a little new to this, and maybe it's the phrasing, but I'm a little confused.
I read the pages you posted. I'd be interested in knowing what
those people meant. I didn't see any "POV" issues in the pages I
read. Perhaps they are people who don't really know what they
are talking about but want to appear knowledgeable.

Do you know and trust the people who made the POV comments?

I would like to add to that, don't trust me. I am far from a screenwriting expert and haven't written in years. :)

Well, let's say...

Assassin's POV: The assassin holds motionless his gun towards the opposite building.
Only his belly barely moves while he is breathing steadily.
His right eye is looking through the scope.

Mark's POV: Mark sits calmly on a sofa watching TV. He sees a glare reflecting off the scope at a distance from the lights in the city. Mark thinks it is nothing. He ignores it and changes the channel on the TV.

I kind of see what you mean, but I feel that it is of no importance. I mean that the POV is more, if not only, defined by the importance of the characters and not by your decision. Is the assassin the main villain or just a paid assassin? If f.e. he is the main villain, you have no choice to avoid his POV.

Also what if you want Mark not to see any glare reflecting off the scope and have him just sit and watch TV? How could you write the scene from Mark's POV?

I think POVs are just an explanation of a scene and not a beforehand decided rule to guide you.
If you want to add something because it creates tension, add it. If you don't want to add it, don't add it. Never bother about POVs.

I don't see why we discuss that POV thing! I googled "pov screenwriting" and the results was only about POV shots..

Last edited:
Back