movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

I'm not going to review it until its UK release but if there are any Americans on here who haven't seen THE RAID: REDEMPTION yet, do so now!

This is a must see for anyone who has an interest in action cinema (in the same way that I'd recommend The Cabin in the Woods for anyone who has an interest in horror). And it was shot for 1,100,000 dollars which is not that out of reach...

And it was shot for 1,100,000 dollars which is not that out of reach...

Yeah, but that's like 5 trillion-kajillion rupiah.

Actually, I can't wait to see that movie. It's been in my targets for many weeks, and I'm very glad that it's finally playing at my theater. As soon as my work-weekend is over...

Oh, and did I mention how awesome "Cabin in the Woods" is? Honestly, it's been on my mind since I saw it last night. It's a true gem.

Yeah. Cabin In The Woods. I was looking forward to this when it was slated for a January 2010 release. It was 100% worth the wait. Can't say enough good things about it. Go see it. Now. I'll wait. I don't imagine I'll see anything else this year I like this much.

And, yes, that includes the Hobbit, coming from a self-confessed fantasy junkie.

cabin in the woods was okay imho. i like the spoofy side of it but i just didnt connect with any characters at all in fact was kind of bugged by a couple of them. cool ending tough from a gory perspective but really don't see how or why it's being promoted as 'groundbreaking' and 'a game changer'....big picture wise, it's quite average.

Been watching Outcasts. Haven't watched the whole season (series) yet, but so far pretty good. It's tone and drama do seem quite a bit along the lines of SG-U, another show I liked a lot. Need a good TV Scifi fix? Check it out, see what ya think. The whole cast is good. Liam Cunningham is a a stand out --what a soulful face and a good screen presence.

Saw a movie called 'Circumstance' at the Brisbane Queer Film Festival tonight, I was honestly a bit disappointed. I was expecting it to be better. I'd give it a 2 and a half out of 5. It was more depressing and infuriating than thought provoking for me.

^^ Dang, that was a terrible movie, Bad Teacher. Characters learn nothing, and do not grow. Oh well :)

Just saw Chronicle : Trailer here

It surprised me in a lot of ways.

SFX were much more than the trailer lead me to believe.

By the time the end rolled around, I was already envisioning the live-action version of Akira.

Very big stretches for "found footage" rationales, at times.

Some big plot holes, bordering on Apollo 18's level

Bunch of unresolved material, too, and material that's introduced and never revisited.

I think this film would have been much more enjoyable as a traditional narrative.

I'd give a 5/10

Edit: Just noticed the trailer I linked is not the one I've seen before.

Last edited:
Enter the Void - 10/10

I thought the film was excellent - the best film I have seen in recent years. Certainly the most visually striking film I have ever watched. I say that without hesitation. Gaspar Noe is an artist through and through. And a ballsy one at that. At the very least, you have to respect him for an attempt at greatness. And further, you have to give him credit (in my eyes) for the groundbreaking cinematography achieved in the film. I was enthralled by the entire film.

I would advise everyone to see Enter The Void.

Here's a clip from the film I came across. Gives you a little taste of what I'm talking about (with the visuals)

http://on.fb.me/EntertheVoid

entervoidiii.jpg

what he said...

Haha, The Muppets (with my son).

I give it a 7.5 for a great effort, but it pretty much recycled the same plot from Muppets Take Manhattan which was far more superior.

Like Crazy- 4/10. Really spotty dialogue. Cared a less about the main character knowing that Jennifer Lawrence's character wasn't a dumbass.
Shadows and Lies- 2/10. Got to learn to edit. Could've taken twenty minutes out. Story was eh. James Franco is doing another movie with the guy. :(
Cedar Rapids- 5/10. John C. Reilly got those five stars.

Bout to watch Hugo. Better love it because right now im 0 for 3.

The David Fincher Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Visually really really beautiful, but "Inceptionitis" in the sense of overly convoluted plot that had to be explained and resolved through over long exposition speeches by the characters. Also about 30 minutes too long.

The David Fincher Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Visually really really beautiful, but "Inceptionitis" in the sense of overly convoluted plot that had to be explained and resolved through over long exposition speeches by the characters. Also about 30 minutes too long.
Have you seen the original version?
I kinda preferred that to Fincher's.
Although Fincher's opening credits are wicked! I'll give him that. ;)

Try your local public library system. You can probably check it out for free. :yes: along with the other two: Played with Fire and Hornet's Nest.

Don't bother, Fincher's is twice the film. ;)
Aww... Don't deny the grown man his right to decide for himself. ;)

Did you also like the Americanized (barf) Let Me In over the Swedish Let the Right One In?

Last edited:
Back