Chris Nolan Interview

Dang, that was a great read! Covered a lot of ground, without waffling. :cool:

Very hard to pick a fave quote of it, but:

Christopher Nolan said:
increasing pressure to stop shooting film and start shooting video (...) It's cheaper to work on film

Never thought I'd hear anyone say that, these days. Really.

Yes. Thanks for posting. Still reading. I like this bit:

Q: Another thing that’s unique about your style, especially for such big films, is that you choose to work without a second unit. Why is that?

A: Let me put it this way: If I don’t need to be directing the shots that go in the movie, why do I need to be there at all? The screen is the same size for every shot. The little shot of, say, a watch on someone’s wrist, will occupy the same screen size as the shot of a thousand people running down the street. Everything is equally weighted and needs to be considered with equal care, I really do believe that. I don’t understand the criteria for parceling things off. Many action films embrace a second unit taking on all of the action. For me, that’s odd because then why did you want to do an action film? Having said that, there are fantastic filmmakers who use second and third units successfully. So it all comes back to the question of defining what a director does. Each of us works in different ways. It’s really helped me keep more of my personality in these big films. There’s a danger with big-action fare that the presence of the filmmaker is watered down, it can become very neutral, so I’ve tried to keep my point of view in every aspect of these films.

Back