• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 7D or Canon 5D Mark iii?

So i am saving up to buy my first camera in the next few months. I have done my research and have it down to the Canon 7D and Canon 5D Mark iii since both have interchangeable lenses and have 24p shooting as well as being small enough to shoot in tight spaces.

I will be using this camera to shoot a web series and eventually my first indie micro budget film.

Which camera gives me the best ability to get that film look with a good professional lens? Again i am going to be saving up around $1'500 - $2'500 to buy the camera and any 35mm lenses to get that film look

I have the T2i, which I hear is the same as the 7D. I have played around with the 5D, but I think the depth of field is too shallow in comparison, cause of the full frame sensor. Unless that's what you want, but with the short films, and features I have seen shot with it, it looks like overkill to me, but that's my opinion. It's probably better quality in other ways of course though.

Yeah I know, but is there a point to getting the 5D then, if you are going to stop down anyway? It seems everyone's reason for getting one is the extreme shallow DOF, so if you are going to stop down anyway, is it worth paying the extra money?

The next camera down from the 5Dmk3 is the 6D, not the 7D.

Unlike the 7D, the 6D is full frame like the 5Dmk3.

I found this comparison very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eiFBV70Z5E

I went for the 6D in the end. I would have preferred the 5Dmk3 but it was just too much more.

The Panasonic GH3 and GH4 offer heaps of bang for your $$$. Ditto the gear from the Blackmagic people.

Last edited:
First camera? Get a t2i/t3i. Learn how to use a camera. Second, get a 5D MKIV (which will surely be available by the time you need to get a new camera).

IMO, you'll be wasting your money on anything above entry level.

"But 5D footage looks so much better than t2i footage" Not true. Put expensive glass in front of any camera and your image will improve tenfold.

"5D is better in low light because of it's full frame sensor" Use more light.

"5D can record in RAW if hacked" No beginner is going to profit from recording in RAW, it will just complicate things for them. There are other things to focus on.

First camera? Get a t2i/t3i. Learn how to use a camera. Second, get a 5D MKIV (which will surely be available by the time you need to get a new camera).

IMO, you'll be wasting your money on anything above entry level.

"But 5D footage looks so much better than t2i footage" Not true. Put expensive glass in front of any camera and your image will improve tenfold.

"5D is better in low light because of it's full frame sensor" Use more light.

"5D can record in RAW if hacked" No beginner is going to profit from recording in RAW, it will just complicate things for them. There are other things to focus on.

Amen.

+1.

I shot something a fair while ago with two DSLRs.

My A cam was a rigged out 5DmkIII, and my B cam was a 550D (T2i). The glass was L zooms, we were using the same/similar glass on each cam.

The T2i was a tad over-sharpened in comparison, but was not anything you couldn't fix if you spent more time getting the cameras to match perfectly.

Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two intercutting.

Back